Metahuman and Custom Clothing

Awesome! I watched your tutorial on creating a jacket, which is the one I was referring to. Thanks for posting both of these.

Given that I’m building a large project solo with limited art skills, I would really value a tool that delivers clothing customization as simply as, say, Character Creator 3. If we can get anything close to that, I’m in.

Your tutorials have given me hope that there will be a path. It makes too much economic sense for someone to build a tool. Hopefully, they’ll get there before I need to start making significant progress on my character art, or I may have to go the CCC route.

hello there ! how did you manage to create the clothing in MD and that fits perfectly on the Metahuman? Did you find a way to import the Metahuman on MD? How did you? Thank you for your help!!

1 Like

Hello! You should export body and face, import it to Blender, clean mesh (delete all bones), join mesh and then you can export it as FBX to MD or CLO3D.

@SarahRR Yes, that part was easy. You just need to find the metahuman body for your character in your unreal project and import this body to MD. In MD 10, there is a feature that allows you to fit clothes to imported body meshes. I think it is called auto-fit. Check it out. It is quite simple. The issue is rather how to bring the cloth mesh back to UE and set up the collision physics for clothing.

I’m just trying to figure how to get my model OUT of MetaHuman to Blender. I could likely get it into MD find and with a lot of work even get RT cloth sim. But how do you get it out of MH? I have what’s supposed to be a Blender plugin/Bridge, but doesn’t appear to do anything.

Hey, there’s a thread here that discusses most of the process for exporting you Metahuman. Export metahuman as fbx

2 Likes

I wish they add morph target preview and control in the future which is important for RPG design

Hi guys, if anybody is still interested, you can try our UE4 Cloth Simulation Plugin and 3D Draper (beta)

4 Likes

This looks really interesting. I’ve just been digging through threads looking for the best approach to creating unique clothing for metahumans. I see there’s a bit of magic in the design and assembly (after 2 minute mark) of your plugin, how much of a learning curve is there, and would I be able to make some clothes out of fur in the customizable materials options?

@MostHost_LA You mentioned earlier in the thread a plugin, what’s your plugin called?

interesting question. There are different options. Here is the latest version: Unreal Engine Cloth Simulation Plugin and 3D Draper (beta2) - YouTube

1 Like

Hey guys, I saw that UE5 has a control rig but do we still have to weight paint the clothing in a 3d program or does UE5 have some inbuilt functionality for that?

Skyrim and fallout 4 modders use a 3rd party tool called Bodyslide and Outfit Studio when they use a custom body mesh replacer like CBBE.
This allows them to fit a set of armor or clothing to bodies with different proportions than the standard game body by using sliders made for the new body
they have several tools to tweak the meshes so they don’t clip into the body or appear loose.
After they fit the base armor/clothes, they apply the changes and the program opens every single piece of armor that the player can wear and applies the fitting tweaks to every armor for the player
it actually even cuts out all of the body hidden by clothes. It does this in a matter of 2 minutes for every suit of armor/clothes, even added mod clothing.
That’s what metahumans needs.
Perhaps they should hire Caliente of CBBE (Caliente’s beautiful bodies) to make an outfit studio/bodyslide system for the metahumans.

2 Likes

most ppl don’t want to lose the rigging, that’s the benefit of the metahumans.
Blender and maya have a “proxy fitting” tool/procedure for clothes on a body mesh to transfer bone weights to the clothing.
Ppl go to great lengths to preserve the bones and weighting on the body mesh, so they don’t have to re-rig or lose their animations from the rig.

with proportional editing and cloth dynamics most stuff can be made to fit anyway
I made a Metahuman clone for DAZ Genesis 8 too so I can actually shape all my DAZ clothes with that as well and then transfer weights in Blender, only reason I don’t is I don’t find animating them as easy as DAZ characters.

Hey, have you been able to resolve that Issue? I am at the exact same point for two days now, and I can´t seem to find the solution…

1 Like

I managed to resolve the issue :tada:
The problem was wrong rotations of the skeletal bones through the export settings. That´s why it made sense in Blender but was a complete mess in UE. So the export settings suggested by the referenced video (Video by “Fractured Fantasy”) seem to be the problem.

For me (Blender 3.0+) the default settings with some minor changes did the job (see image for settings) and changing clothes in UE was practically drag&drop after importing. Make sure to select the “metahuman_base_skeleton” as skeletal mesh on import.

I will repeat the process a couple of times and upload a condensed 5 Minute step-by-step.

3 Likes

And, I did. Step by Step Clickthroug on how to get custom clothing on MH-Character. Used Software Blender 3.+, Marvelous Designer, Ue5.

Today they released update and I was astonished when I saw what features they added - instead of addressing most important problem, that turns metahumans totally useless - they added some custom face morph creator. Facepalm.
Yes, in its current state metahumans creator is useless! It is head creator, nothing more! If you are indie, you probably would never use metahumans, because you will need to export body, create clothes in some third party, rig it to epic skeleton (with weight painting nightmare), then export to unreal and reapply all textures, materials etc. etc. I would rather use Reallusion CC or anything else! For big studios metahumans are also almost useless, because they can use their own models and I simply see no reason why they should mess with heads creator.
To be honest I was expecting epic to find solution and allow developers use third party clothes, or anyway create some pipeline without weight painting nightmare, but I see they simply failed. I am sticking with blessed CC - metahumans are total garbage.

3 Likes

Hi

Just started looking into this. I thought I would start by updating this thread with these videos. I’ll post my results soon, wish me luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes