Meta-XR plugin: Passthrough only works once, and runtime changes to passthrough settings don't work

Hello! I’m working in ue5.1.1 with the goal of creating an EXE with an interactive mixed reality experience. I installed the meta-xr plugin and set up my project per Meta’s instructions. I’ve made sure to carefully enable each of meta’s required settings for passthrough. When I activate my Quest 2 using Quest link, I’m unable to make passthrough work in the editor no matter what I change about the settings.
However, when I restart both my computer and headset, the first time I play it in editor passthrough will work with full input and controller fidelity, just from dragging the OculusXRPassthroughLayer component onto my VR pawn. Once I play in editor a second time, passthrough stops working completely until the next restart.

I tried building and ended up with no passthrough at all. Then I restarted both my HMD and PC and built for windows immediately after opening the project. Now I have an EXE that will launch passthrough every single time! Controllers are still functional and there is no lag. All I need to be able to do now is toggle the visibility of the overlay during runtime. However, activating and deactivating the component does nothing. Same with outright deleting the component during runtime. Using “printstring” I confirmed that these inputs were firing, and that the state of the component actually did change from “active” to “inactive.”

How do I start figuring this out? Is there a way I can learn what’s causing passthrough to stop working after the first launch? Its clear some are able to change the opacity of the passthrough during runtime, how is this done?

Below is an image the toggle inputs, and an image of the component settings for the OculusXRPassthroughLayer

1 Like

This is a known MetaXR Plugin issue:

• When using Link to preview passthrough in editor. The passthrough layer may not be shown after stopping and starting the editor. If this occurs,
    • Ensure Link Passthrough over Link is enabled in the Desktop Oculus App (Settings > Beta)

• Close the Unreal Editor and restart OVRService (Task Manager > Services > OVRService)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Its confirmed that this is a known issue, and maintaining oculus link goes a long way in keeping passthrough working. However, in just the last two weeks a new issue has popped up that I seem to be able to replicate every time.

The “Underlay” option in the oculus XR passthrough layer has completely stopped working in 5.1.1. After setting up a project, metaXR plugin, and VRpawn with the recommended setup from Meta, passthrough will activate without rendering any of the scene content at all. In the past I caused this issue by failing to enable alpha channel support in Post Processing by selecting Allow through tonemapper

Now, however, fixing setting does not fix the issue. Print strings show up in VR, input remains 1:1, (the controllers move visibly on the desktop window,) but the only thing visible in the headset is the passthrough. Setting the passthrough opacity to .5 confirms there is no geo visible under the layer. In the dekstop preview the geometry shows up as expected, the headset is tracking properly, and as I mentioned I can see my virtual hands moving with my controllers. I created a build while it was working which is still functional, so it isn’t the headset software. Here is someone with the same issue