Meta Quest2 left eye turns black in UE5.1

Only the left eye becomes black when playing the actual machine with Meta Quest2 in UE5.1.
This happens when MobileMultiView is turned off.
Doesn’t happen if it’s on.

The reason I want to turn off MobileMultiView is because I want to turn on MobileHDR.
MobileHDR and MobileMultiView cannot be turned on at the same time.

Is it possible to turn off MobileMultiView on Quest2?
The same phenomenon occurs with the new VR template.

Is this just me?
help me.

Hey there @saito_y! Does this occur with Mobile HDR off as well? Since you’re targeting mobile, you probably aren’t using it, but I have to ask, is Instanced Stereo in the VR rendering settings enabled? That can cause issues like this.

MobileHDR is not officially supported on Quest, but the left eye should not turn black w. MMV off. We’re looking into it.

2 Likes

The phenomenon occurs even if mobileHDR is turned off.

Also for Instanced Stereo, whether it’s on or off.

After testing with various patterns, I may have noticed the cause.
With MMV off, using MSAA seems to make my left eye black.
It seems that mobileHDR and InstacedStereo have nothing to do with each other.

Switching to FXAA fixed it.
With FXAA, even with MMV off and InstancedStereo and mobileHDR on, the left eye didn’t turn black.

But my research is not very reliable, so I think it would be better for you to do a thorough research.

2 Likes

Awesome job, AA has been a root or secondary cause of a number of rendering issues so far in 5.1 so that tracks. Also Vic thanks for chiming in!

Thanks this is useful information.

Instanced Stereo is not a path that’s used on Mobile, so that setting doesn’t have any effect.

1 Like

Fixed it for me too. Intel Mac, Monterey.

Question is why this happened? 5.0.3 works with MSAA as per documentation.

Mobile HDR is a path that’s not supported by the Oculus Mobile Runtime. This is the official word from Meta.

Found another way for me… probably learning slowly what the params mean :slight_smile:

• Instance Stereo still not working for me… always crashes upon start of the App
  • Enabled openGL, Mobile Multi-View, MSAA, and disabled vertex fogging…, which solved the left eye black problem, and also improved the anti aliasing issue I had with the FXAA
2 Likes

The black screen issue that you’re experiencing when using Meta Quest2 in Unreal Engine 5.1 with MobileMultiView turned off is a known issue. This happens because MobileMultiView is required to properly render stereo images for VR devices like the Meta Quest2. Turning off MobileMultiView means that only one eye is being rendered, which causes the black screen issue in the other eye.

Regarding the MobileHDR issue, you’re correct that MobileHDR and MobileMultiView cannot be turned on at the same time in Unreal Engine. This is because MobileHDR requires rendering with multiple render targets, which is incompatible with the single render target required for MobileMultiView.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off MobileMultiView on the Meta Quest2 without encountering the black screen issue you described. The best solution would be to use MobileMultiView and turn off MobileHDR, or vice versa, depending on the specific requirements of your project.

1 Like

it worked for me as Well.
Thanks