Mesh Tool - A Mesh Editor

Aha, that game mode :slight_smile: Consider it done, will be in next update.

@Shirk, interesting idea. Generating atlas map sounds like a fun (aka geek) weekend subject to digging.

Thanks!

I’ve also been having a weird issue with certain meshes I’ve edited with MeshTool - Lightmass crashes when they’re anywhere in the map. Once I realised this was happening it was super hard to track it down. I don’t know if I can provide you with a repro case other than maybe sending you one of these broken meshes, so let me know if you want me to do that.
Here’s me talking about it on twitter:

Lightmass just silently fails at 0% - there is nothing useful in the log, it just acts like I force quit Lightmass through task manager or something. I was able to make one of the meshes stop causing it by setting its Lightmap Coordinate Index to 1; it was on 0. Maybe when you generate the lightmap UVs you aren’t setting the lightmap coordinate index correctly? That wouldn’t historically result in a failure though…

@JoeWintergreen, the “Build and Sync Lightmap UV” is simply a shortcut which will invoke UE4’s builtin lightmap generation with one additional step to actually save/sync generated UV into Staticmesh, so it’ll leave the “Lightmap Coordinate Index” as it’s. I should probably add a “Set Lightmap UV Index to” functionality. But back to your example, even it was set to 0 witch will most likely give you a lightmass warning regarding ovelapping UV but should not causing crash.

It would be great that you can send the affected mesh or even better the map so I can reproduce the issue.

How do I assign materials to a selected face, I want to put the bare concrete material onto the selected face but everytime I do it assigns the wood material?

@jojo8026, I just recorded a short video showing how to assign material to selected faces:

Let me know if that works for you or not.

Nope it did not work, this is obviously a bug or im not doing something right, The blue selected face is what I wanted to put the water on but when I tried to do it it instead put the water on everything but what I selected.

@jojo8026 it seems there’s regression on the material assignment code while the material slot has been created, the material assigned was shifted. Very sorry about that!

The temporary solution is manually drag material from content browser to the corresponding static mesh component material slot. e.g. water material to slot 1, and concrete material to slot 2.

Will this be fixed in the next update?

@jojo8026 Yes, that’s the plan :slight_smile:

Love this tool! Keep up the good work and I second the cntrl click for selecting additional objects and deselecting individual objects from a selected group.

Thanks! Use Ctrl key as Multi-Select and Toggle Select will be in next update.

[WIP] Adding OpenSubdiv

Oh wow, that looks great, I can finally make all my high poly models in Unreal!

Also Im not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but have you considered expanding the collision mesh editor to allow Mesh Tool to create custom collision meshes in the editor? Would be insanely useful.

@Shirk, yes, I would like to have custom collision mesh editing though it’s low priority for now as I’m currently refactoring mesh tool code to make it easier to expand feature set and add 3rd party libraries. You are right, being able to create/edit custom collision mesh inside Unreal Editor is very useful and it’s definitely in my todo list.

Mesh Tool 1.0.9.1 update is now live on itch.io. Marketplace version is in submitting.

------------------
* Fix regression of Assign Material
* Fix potential editor crash when delete/attach/detach faces
* Add option to use Ctrl instead of Alt as Multi-Select and Toggle Select key
* Now StaticMesh's ImportVersion will be updated to latest version before assigning material
* When in Game View, don't draw vertex/edge/faces selection
* When creating new plane/cube mesh, don't focus the viewport to it automatically
* Now new plane/cube mesh will has defaut lightmap uv generated
* Now proper defautl material will be assigned to new plane/cube mesh and lofted mesh
* Add 4.18 support; Drop 4.15 support

This hotfix release is mainly for fixing regression of Assign Materials which also causing serious bug that might potentially crash editor when delete/attach/detach faces (since those operation depends also lead to material changes and be affected by Assign Material code).

For anyone who interested why there was material shifting bug and why it might lead to editor crash, here’s a short lesson learnt:
[SPOILER]
Before UE 4.14, the material of one static mesh face is depending on which material slot it’s section currently map to, while assigning material/delete/attach/detach faces will change mesh section implicitly, the face material id will be obsolete soon and lead to all sort of weird behavior even crash.
In UE 4.14 and afterward, the old material workflow is phasing out but still kept for backward compatibility and could be checked by StaticMesh’s ImportVersion (which I failed to check in 1.0.9).
In Mesh Tool 1.0.9.1, before you assigning material to mesh faces, the ImportVersion of the static mesh will be checked and updated to lastest version if necessary, also the section info map will be re-constructed to keep track of material change to avoid material been shifted. (Current implementation did not preserve material overrides through section editor ui, so if you changed section material mapping manually that info will be lost.)

[/SPOILER]

And start from 1.0.9.1, I’m adding 3rd party libraries into Mesh Tool. The first library added is Clip2Tri (including Clipper / Poly2Tri and PolyPartition), which has no directly use in 1.0.9.1 but will be used in 1.1.0 for proper inset support (more info later).

Please update to 4.18

@jojo8026 I’ve submitted 4.18 update to marketplace, still waiting it been processed.

Any chance that we can get a dedicated widget/window for the editing options? Im not really a fan of all the options being crammed into the side, it feels clunky and non intuitive. It would be nice to have a window like in Hammer that you can move around, might even be good to design it based off of hammers window.

Also, how can I change the meshes pivot? Ive created a plane, but I want to use it for a wall. Issue is, that because the pivot is incorrectly orientated, the auto UV option doesnt work properly.

I cant get the plugin to install into 4.18, I click on the install to engine button and click on 4.18 but nothing happens

The update might not be live yet for 4.18.