Mesh Tool - A Mesh Editor

I don’t understand how you “set ruler between 2 verticies to inspect the side of the cube?” Any special keys you need to press? All it does is move the points and no option to select in between.

@NightroGames, the workflow is like that:

1. Select 2 vertices (hold shift to click to multi-select)

2. Click “Set as Ruler” in “Vertex” category to display length between those 2 vertices (make sure “Display Ruler” also checked)

29347574-29c77bfc-8280-11e7-9764-ce54bb32b10c.png

Right-o. Also, will 1.08 be supported in 4.16.2? 1.07 was causing all sorts of errors for us here so they wouldn’t add it in. Im stuck on 1.06 currently.

Is there a feature to manually input dimension scaling in quad mode on faces for specific areas? Such as the pic in the link bellow, I want the sides to be scaled to match the dimensions of the rest of the box, but not the front and back part. Or should I say I want more control of the dimensions per quad face and not just always have something like a snap to align option. Also, great tool! Still have some getting used to and finding my way around. :slight_smile: I’m mostly just used to just making organic meshes in Zbrush.

https://i.gyazo.com/05db19822991a365aff64ee14864fe8d.jpg

1.0.8 will support 4.15, 4.16 and 4.17. (for 4.16, I’m building against 4.16.3)
May I ask what kind of errors you get in 1.0.7? (pm me if you prefer) I would like to address those issues in future updates. Thanks!

For your example, currently the easiest way is still to use Vertex Snap while moving edges. ( Select edge, press “V” key while drag the transform widget to snap to vertex of the rest of the box)

https://streamable.com/f1wpx

I will extend the “Delta Transform” function to apply manual input of delta scale/rotation: (now has only delta translation option)

Sent a PM.

Mesh Tool 1.0.8 update now live on itch.io. Marketplace version submitted.

Change Log:

Awesome work !

@: It would be cool if we could just loft without having a mesh being editing already. Right now i need to edit a mesh to make a loft happen at all.

@ - I continue to use MeshTool more and more - it is awesome!

Some Feature Requests :

Double-click edge to select edge loop.
Some way to highlight some faces and split them off into a new mesh :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your work

Good idea, will add loft into a new static mesh option in next update. Thanks.

@, so happy to hear from you again.

**“Double-click edge to select edge loop.” **

Added to my todo list. The current edge loop detection is still quite primitive, will try improve it in future updates.

“Some way to highlight some faces and split them off into a new mesh”

Since 1.0.8, you can select faces, then press “Detach” button to make a new mesh from selected faces.

Detach.jpg

“Attach” can be used to merge selected mesh in content browser to current editing mesh.

That is exactly what I needed!

Thank You !

@ A cool feature Probuilder had was allowing you to “merge” faces or tris really. It was only a visual thing to make things easier for the user. Select what ever tris you want, click merge, and it acted as a single face to select. This would be pretty slick if you could add that in too. =)

My productivity has gone up quite a bit with this since 1.08 too. Just wanted to give those props out for the nice work so far. Worth every penny if you ask me.

This tool deals with static meshes but how much would be involved with editing skinned meshes? For example, being used in character creators. Morphs would be used for general looks, then a vertex editor to fine tune.

Hi @subtleone, Mesh Tool currently don’t support Skeletal Mesh editing. I plan to add basic editing (translate/rotate/scale elements) as experimental feature in future update.

@Wolfen, the “merge” feature seems interesting, but the problem is that it might requires additional “merged faces” information been stored along side with raw static mesh ( to make the “merged faces” data persistent across editing sessions), it’s technical feasible but kind of against one of Mesh Tool’s original design goal ( “Not introducing proprietary mesh format, prefer working on game ready mesh directly” ).

There’s actually more potential usage/benefit if custom mesh data structure been introduced, I’ll give it some more thought on this subject, and as always thanks for the suggestions!

is this possible to use it in runtime ? if its not , i hope you add this as feature.

@vrMan, Mesh Tool is currently editor only so can’t be used in runtime.

May I ask what features/use cases you expect to use in runtime? Thanks!