Mesh looks decimated in UE5, but in Poly Edit mode, all detail is there

I’ve created a relatively detailed FBX exported from Blender. The detail is there in the FBX when previewed in Windows 3D Viewer. But when I drag the asset into Unreal, it’s decimated so far that you can’t even see many of the faces.

But when I enter Modeling mode and select it and hit Poly Edit, all the detail is there. It’s just not visible in the viewscreen.

How do I get Unreal to show me the FBX as it is, before being decimated?

Hi there, It may be your normals. In blender try shift N to recaluclate the normals. Im not 100% sure what the problem is becuse i would have to see it for myself. One thing you can do is use back face culling. This will show the faces of your model and what they will look like in game.
off:
on:

Another thing you can use is face orientation. This will show the faces. Blue means your nomals are ok, red means you normals are wrong.
It looks like this:
image image

One last thing check you modifers are ok and are applying.

1 Like

Here are two images. The collapsed one is what I see in the viewport. The detailed one is what I see when I enter Poly Edit mode.

(You can see how collapsed the unselected rope meshes are coming from the blocks in Poly Edit mode.)

1 Like

ok, Maybe check your render settings. thats is all i can suggest. Good luck :grinning:

Hey, thanks so much for your help. It turned out to be a glitch in my project. This project was started in UE5 Preview, and even though I’d updated it to UE5, there must have been some LOD issue going on in the update. I imported the model into a new project, and voila, all the detail was there.

I hope no one else will have to suffer a day like yesterday!

1 Like