Megascan Trees issue with Procedural Foliage Spawners? UE5.1

I’ve been recently trying out Megascan Trees in UE5.
Everything seems fine on the Mesh viewer or even by placing the trees’ Meshes directly into the world, however, when I try to use a Procedural Foliage Spawner or paint them in Foliage Mode instead, the wind on the Trees becomes really weird stretching the trees up and down instead of slightly bending them in the direction of the Wind.

As anyone else come across this issue and knows of a way to fix it?
I’m using Megascans: European Black Alder and UE5.1

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem but using European Hornbeam from Megascans.

Review the material.
It’s probably a result of nanite messing with WPO.
Or something missing, like vertex paint.

2 Likes

Hi! Normally we used to use “object pivot location” from source local → to → absolute world space. But for some reason that is currently broken and it needs to be switched to: Source(Instance & Particle Space) → Destination(Absolute World Space). I tried it in 5.1 with both the foliage painter & the procedural foliage volume and it is working as intended again :slight_smile: :+1: ( find the wind functions within the foliage shader’s and adjust)

12 Likes

Now, why use that instead of the dedicated object pivot node? Which should be already in world space I believe…

If its a matter of allowing parameters, throw in a static switch to define a custom value instead…

1 Like

Hey Most :slight_smile:
just looked at it again. and the issue itself is with the “ObjectPivotPoint” node, that node itself transforms to world space. Just to clarify this only happens within foliage tool & procedural. When hand placed this issue does not show up. This started with 5.0ea and might be something under the hood that changed i’m not sure. you can try it yourself, blank project with official megascan tree’s just foliage tool a big part of a map and it starts going all wonky.

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick answer. I still need to try this out, but I’ll leave a message here once I do!

1 Like

This fixed it, thank you @D13on !
To summarize, “ObjectPivotPoint” node has a TransformPosition node set with Source: Local Space, Destination: World Space.
It needs to be set as Source: Instance&Particle Space, Destination: World Space

The “ObjectPivotPoint” node can be found in the MF_SimpleWind in the “Rotator” comment.

6 Likes

Thank you. I had to search a bit but finally I found it. For the newbies like me: Go to a material of a mesh that is affected, then dig deeper to the root materials until you come up to the node editor, go to parent material in the section “General” until you get to the material “MA_Foliage”. In the node editor, search for the node “MF_SimpleWinds” . There, double click on the node “ObjectPivotPoint”. IN this graph, adjust the node “Transform Position” as indicated above to Source = Instance & Particle Space and Destination = Absolute Worldspace.

8 Likes

@PhilHermoso1 I found the parent material MA_Foliage, but there’s a isn’t a node called MF_SimpleWinds, only MF_SimpleWind (without the S). Not sure if that’s significant, but is no node anywhere called ObjectPivotPoint. Nowhere to be seen.

2 Likes

Hey @BarblyQ the MF_SimpleWind is a Material Function being used in the parent Material’s logic. Double Click it to enter it and then you can see some comments structuring the logic. One of the Comments is called “rotator” or something similar. In that section you can find the ObjectPivotPoint node there.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

thank you so much! This solution has eluded me for about two months I really can’t thank you enough

2 Likes

Can anyone help me do this step in UE5.2 I can’t find that node in the MF_SimpleWind material

1 Like

Hey @MystixShot ! Thanks, this solution solve my problem. :slight_smile:

I lowered the wind strength to 0.007 and BOOOOOM!!! Problem solved

Phil, you are a saint. Bless you my man.

OMG! it works, I was loosing it here guys :smiley:

Hey there, I’m having this issue as well. The solution above worked BUT for some reason, and only with this particular edit, Unreal won’t let me save. Any suggestions?

It might have something to do with folder permissions being that the material function being edited is engine content, not project content.

Thanks Bro