Medieval fantasy citadel

This is the last project for my 3D Artist master on the UA School (Valencia - Spain). On this project I have to create a 3D environment for a videogame. Any suggestions or comments are welcome, so stay tuned for my updates and enjoy it.

2 Likes

This project is part of the escenario from a medieval fantasy open world game. It’s based on the Elder Scrolls saga and the atmosphere of For Honor, with a very similar type of graphics and details.

The scenario is the entrance of a fortified city and its main square. There are some important places for the city inside of it, like the city guard headquarters, the market, the blacksmith store and the butcher store. From the entrance of the city, the main street goes crossing some houses until the main square, which is dominated by the guard headquarters. From this place two streets are born, the left one continues until a fortified gate where the path to the castle starts, the castle is on the top of the city and the right street goes through the rest of the lower city.

The city architecture is based on the romanesque style, with some touches of fantasy, exaggeration and verticality. The walls, the towers and the guard headquarters are made with stone, but the houses are made with more materials (wood, stone, plaster, clay roof tiles…), the streets are cobbled and the city takes advantage from the mountain rock walls to grow around them.

The setting is for a day with little movement and life. It’s cloudy, the city gates are closed and the market stalls are empty. The few activity that goes on the city is happening in the blacksmith store, the forge is on and the blacksmith is forging something.

2 Likes

Here are the first images of the project, these correspond to the blocking:

1 Like

I have extended the blocking of the scene, now there are three type of assets: the blue ones (imported assets), the white assets (main and secondary assets created by hand) and the yellow ones (hero assets). I have also defined better the background of the environment and sculpted the terrain where the citadel is.

2 Likes

Nice. Great work, keep it up!!!

1 Like

Gracias mi pana!

I’ve been working on some building assets, starting with a unic mesh per asset. But I’ve changed by making a modular system to optimice the final result on the unreal project.

1 Like

This is the advance of my work with the modular buildings. There are some that are in their last shape, but some need more details.

1 Like

While I continue producing assets I’m placing them at the scene, this is the result:

1 Like

Finished the citadel walls, gates and towers modeling. This is how it looks:

1 Like

This week I’ve been modeling the headquarter of the guard and the base mesh of the water well, I have also been making the UVs of the rest of the assets that I’ve already modeled.

1 Like

I have made most of the buildings UVs, prepared the light maps and defined which materials I am using for each asset.

1 Like

This week I have been doing some none visual things, like adjusting the master materials, creating the colliders of all the buildings and exporting, importing and replacing some props. So, the only thing I can show you are some of the colliders that I made in Maya:

2 Likes

I have placed all the materials of the main assets and terrain, so the scenario better now.

1 Like

I’ve added the base of the headquarters, the slabs and variations of the street and solved some issues that were working bad, like the roughness of the megascans materials.

2 Likes

Hey great job man! I really liked the way you built the city thinking on some key points for composition. This will look stunning ! :slight_smile:

I am also doing a medieval village but it’s on rather smaller scale than yours, I think that my village will be a countryside one while yours is like on the way to becoming a big metropole hehehe

Checkou my thread there : [WIP] Sighiskor - Medieval Environment

1 Like

Thank you so much Alan, I am glad that you appreciated my work. I will give a look to your work for sure :smiley:

1 Like

Here is a little video presentation of the enviroment. It’s not finished but this is the newest that I have. In this time I have created a cart, the banners and the flags (with the wind to move them). I have also imported and placed some assets from megascans and the UE4 bazar.
Citadel presentation

2 Likes

This is really nice man! I liked the way the flags moves with the wind. Are you using cloth simulation? Pretty neat!

The way the environment is set up is really immersive. If you ever want to make an executable file for a simple walkthrough I could help you making the file :slight_smile:

One thing though, the towers could use more extra geo so that they don’t look that polygonal, I know that this is not final but keep this in mind if you want to refine some of your assets

Keep the great work !

1 Like

Thanks!! Yes I used cloth simulation, I mean, I imported them like skeletal meshes and set the propierties that make them interact with the wind. But I have to solve some issues with the collision between the banners and the walls.

Yeah, I will probably create an executable for this map so people can try it. But I’ll do that after the delivery of the project. I appreciate your help, I’ll tell you when I reach that point.

Yeah, the towers, and so the walls could be more complicated, I’ll improve that on the summer hollidays. I also though about making my own statues, with ZBrush and all the stuff, it was my idea at the beginnig, but I changed it because the time was catching me.

So, thanks for the criticism and support, they help me a lot to improve :slight_smile: :call_me_hand:

1 Like