Maya LT Is Limited?

I’ve used Blender quite a bit, and I wonder if you have ever worked with Maya! And no need for any app war, I want Blender to be that good, but I think all Blender users (for some reason) seem to feel the need to say it is better than Autodesk products, which it’s not (obviously.) Blender can do 3 stage normal baking? Great. That would take an extra step in Maya. So we use XNormal and get even better results.

That is one of the hundreds of things that suck in Blender, and not even on the list of worst things. Another is that there are still many commonly used functions buried in menus because Blender Foundation has decided hotkeys are the only UI you should need, by God. And they cannot even use the industry standard WER keys, they have to use GSR, which aren’t together and are harder to hit without taking a look at the keyboard. Dumb.

And switching between the orthos and the perspective is tedious. In Maya, you pop into quadview, check model in all directions, then hover over the view you want and hit space and . Meanwhile Blender wants you to keep going clear over to the numpad and hit number keys that you just have to memorize. If you are in an ortho view (say front or top) in Blender and you accidentally tumble the view, then you get some weird ortho view from a random “user” angle. How could that possibly be of any use to anyone ever? (In comparison, every other 3d program will just tell you that you cannot tumble ortho views.)

Select vertices works differently in blender depending on whether you are in wireframe or shaded. WHY!? Sometimes you have to select with MMB, other times the same function is with RMB! It’s like they are purposely trying to troll their own users.

The Blender analogue to “Quad Draw” uses the charcoal pen to draw lines on the surface and tries to create topology based on which way you drew the lines. It is so bad that it should be taken behind the barn and shot. It is an abomination to even have that crappy defective tool included at all. Grrr… it makes me angry thinking about how many hours I wasted trying to get that stupid tool to work right.

The timeline in Blender is also a joke compared to Maya or Max… you have to do almost everything on dope sheets. Dope sheets in Blender, though, are pretty dope. Somehow they can show a ton of animations at once without bogging down. So that almost makes up for the worthless timeline.

I haven’t seen this problem with MODO and I have a slightly weaker gxf card. I played a little tonight with a high res character (40k quads) with IK rig in MODO (801) just now and it never went below 15 FPS with textures. Turn off textures in viewport and FPS skyrockets, problem solved.

That is a rare studio with 8 CG artists and Blender as the tool of choice. Almost every studio uses Autodesk products, and the argument that “it is because they just don’t know how good Blender is” is starting to get a bit tired at this point.

Yes, by all means, try Blender. If you like it and it gets the job done, then you have a great free tool. Blender is one of the highest value free software tools that there is. I just have trouble listening to Blender Evangelists that show up in every conversation to say that Blender is as good or better than Maya or Max or MODO (or ZBrush or C4D.) Except for rare features where Blender excels, it typically is a weaker, watered down 3d tool that tries to do everything and only succeeds in doing everything so-so. Luckily, especially for beginners, that is often good enough.

BLender :
– All modeling Tools
– animation graphs
– Humain IK , Skinning ,rigging ,rigify
– Constraint for bones
– FBX , Obj and many other formats
– thousand of free Scripts
– Advanced UV methods and tools
– PBS Shaders
– Blend Shape
– Sculpting with multi resolution
– Movies production quality
– Many features Maya LT don’t have

Im’ not a Blender evangelist , you should try it some day and you’ll find that putting 30$ per month for something you can have for free is a loss.

I don’t know why you lack so much consideration for beginners or indie companies that makes games or movies using Blender.
Perhaps blender interface is not intuitive and can be longer to learn , but the modeling and animations have more than what you need, these two areas are better than Maya LT. Many users of both software agree that Maya LT is a downgraded version of Maya with many limitations ( Autodesk want to keep studios buying Maya instead of Maya LT).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90GWXbEnLQ
Also the price should be around 10-12$ like photoshop , actually spending 360$ per year is expensive considering what LT proposes and you could invest that money in better ways .

The few issue I have with Maya LT are:

A lot of useful plugin that speed up production, cannot be run on Maya LT due to the restriction of script, non Asii file support & Pyhon support. I think most people have no big issue with not having visual effects, furs & such, but its another thing when you know your efficiency can be improve with useful plugin, scripts & features on your bread & butter modeling/rigging work, but you are unable to do so, due to unable to use them.
I have specifically mention GoZ which is a important part of workflow pipeline for me, & a significant time saver.

Its still cost a significant amount (quite a bit more if you live in Europe…like me), yet its not ‘complete’. near 400€ a year & not a renderer (which every 3D app have) for instance. I know people will say its not need for game, but not everyone will want to use it for making game. So people will want to use it to make gameart, & hence need a decent renderer to show off their work. Of cours etehx can export out their work to a 3rd part renderer, which will…you guess it, cost money, unless you export to Blender! Then there is a matter of polygon restriction on export! Sure you probably can subcribe one month of UE4, or Unity & use them as a middle ware to transfer the FBX, which make you wonder why impose the retriction then, & its still a workaround that waste time.

I think I mention the Polygon limit. So if you export to Zbrush (even without using GOZ), you are only restricted to 65k…LOL

Then also, Maya (normal) cannot read Maya LT file (correct me if I am wrong), so if you wanted to send the scene file to another person using normal maya, you can’t. if you started work in Maya, then continue to work in Maya LT, bye bye to even seeing the scene file in Maya again…shoudl you wanted to upgrade ot something.

****, I was evaluating if I should should Maya LT over other alternative, but after writing the above, I think its fairly clear for me…LOL.

I know Blender :smiley: , i’m working in 3D Motion Design ( 4 year ago) with Blender . You can Follow my old Vimeo Channel Blender Essentiel with more 1000 Tutorials ,now i don’t work with blender so if you want add more tutorials to this channel , PM me , i will add you .

178 Vote for Python , maybe will coming soon , i hope… Continue to vote GOZ + Python & UE4 Art Tool

–Just need Area account linked to your Autodesk account subscription
Mayalt > Help > Suggest a Feature > Idea for Mayalt… > & voting

DirectLink

Thank you

The 4**** I posted was actually d a m n. Just to be clear.

All depends on what you learn on, personally I think Blender is a backwards peice of software with random stuff all over the place. But that’s because I learnt to model on Max and Maya, and I’m sure it is the same for those trying to vice versa.

I still run a 5 year old copy of maya and it’s still far superior to most because I know the inns and outs of it, I know it’s limitations but it also suits me because it’s what I am used to and I can write any plugins and scripts if I need to improve it.

Dude, did I not make it abundantly clear that I have tried Blender? I have spent hundreds of hours with Blender. I know it is powerful software, just not on Maya’s level.

Right, beginners and Indies. Most pros are willing to pay thousands of dollars to not use Blender.

If you believe that, then you are seriously drinking the Blender Kool-Aid.

Yes, I think that pretty much everyone in the world agrees that Maya LT is a downgraded version of Maya with many limitations. Even Autodesk would probably agree with that statement. Because of those limitations, there are certainly some areas where you get more from Blender. Examples are the Renderer, particles, hair, cloth, and high-poly export. Above I was comparing Blender with Maya, not Maya LT. However, I still think Maya LT is worth the price due to the ease of use in conjunction with UE4. For better or worse, Epic Games uses Maya and they have designed UE to be highly compatible with Maya exports.

Here is someone who worked with Blender quite a bit, I’d say. He’s created 1000 tutorials for Blender and has now abandoned it for Maya LT.

This is true… Autodesk figures big studios would give all of their modelers and animators a copy of LT rather than full Maya, so they disable large scene export to Maya (Maya cannot open .mlt files and they are encrypted.) You can still export 65k polys at a time through FBX though.

And on the specific topic of game creation with Unreal, I’d say Maya LT is more useful than Blender. Try it and see what I mean, all you Blender fans. Try the retopo tools that are best in class. Use the UV tools and create a few UVs (10x better than Blender’s UV tools.) Rig up your model by hand with the HumanIK tools and see how much easier it is to get both RK and IK working with your model VS Blender. Try ShaderFX to drag and drop effects and create materials. Then use the export to Unreal tool to export everything into UE and watch it work properly the first time with no headaches. If you still prefer Blender after all of that, then I wish you the best with it.

gathers more 1000 tutorials of several artist :rolleyes: , haha not me , im never abandoned Maya since Alias Maya 4.2 (PLE im started)

Zbrush has much better repo & UV unwrap for organic (unbelieveble but true), so I often send it via GoZ from Maya to Zbrush to UV unwrap, then GoZ back. It will take longer for Maya LT, & of course, make sure its less than 65k Tris…

Maya (at least the old version I am using) also have a known & very horrible UV selection on some AMD cards. It can takes a bloodly long time to pick up a few hundred UV point in the editor. It works fine if you pick using the model though. If you are using an AMD card, you will know this.

No one doubt Maya full version is better, but Maya LT, thats another question.

Also, like I mentioned, while Blender is not perfect, we know its ever improving, & I will be surprising its not nearly as good (in areas where it isn’t nearly as good) as the Full Maya in a couple of years time. The funny thing is, had Autodesjk software doesn’t cost an arm & a leg, Blender would never have existed.

In any case, I will download Blender tonight & see how well it works.

I know Autodesk wanted big studio to keep using the full version, but at the same time, they have to look at their LT model & ask if its competitive, & if they are serious about making it competitive to attact more user, but risk losing some of the money from its more expensive package, & knowing the advantages it holds deminishing as competition gets better, & losing user who choose a competing software.

I am quite confidence, that they will unlock more restraints under pressure, like they have since they introduce MayaLT…but when?

I think MayaLT is awesome - you get access to the best animation tools for alot less cost…

If you are not doing animation, then I might consider other products - Zbrush for sculpt, Modo for modeling.

But for rigging and animating Maya LT is awesome.

It has Human IK - you can create a humanoid rig super fast, with ik controls.

The “geodesic voxel” smooth bind works great.

And the GameExporter tools are like GoZ for Unity and Unreal.
The export tools are really great.

If you are doing animation, Maya LT is awesome value.

As far as exporting to full maya - just use fbx.(Of course if you have full Maya, then why use Maya LT.)

It is basically the defacto standard for fbx.

If you have studio money maybe get Maya full.
If you have a little money maybe get Maya LT - it is the same about cost as Unreal or SpeedTree.
If you have no money get Blender.

I just got maya LT and well its got all the tools I need for game assets. However, if there not going to allow you to export MB, MA (which they should), they should at least allow regular maya to accept mlt files…

Tbh, there’s only one real, gamebreaking hurdle for me with Maya LT; only 65000 (dare I guess it’s 65535?) polys per file. That’s simply put quite unusable for work that is not very low poly. Too bad, other than that I could have done with LT, now I have to use the “big” version. Well well :wink:

The 65,000 limit is only for exporting FBX, not the scene. And if you’re working in Unity or UE4, you don’t have that limit if you send it directly through the “send to unity” or “send to unreal” feature.

As SE_JonF said, there is no poly limit to a file. I have files with close to a million polys in them. The poly limit only applies to exports. Except when you’re exporting to Unity or UE4. There’s no limit when you export to those engines. I’ve exported a single 400k poly object to Unity as an FBX file and it works fine.

Also, for the 2016 version that just came out, the poly count limit for other exports has been raised to 100,000.

I wasn’t aware they raised it to 100,000, good to know.

If Maya LT has no rendering then does that mean it doesn’t do things like Normal map baking? In 3DS max that seems to use the renderer.

Also I find it useful to do quick test renders to find issues in my normals for lighting that I don’t see in the regular viewport. It’d be nice to at least have the most basic renderer for those quick hacky things especially if blender has a renderer.

If Maya LT has scripting then I’m sold.

Maya LT has the Turtle Renderer which is used to bake out maps. There’s no scene rendering per se, though with the viewport 2.0 that it ships with, the on-screen quality of a textured model is every bit as good as UE4 in-editor rendering. Here is an example of Maya LT 2015 using Substance Materials. Around the 0:30 mark you can see what the default viewport looks like.

And yes, Maya LT has scripting in the form of melscript. There’s a request on the Suggestions site to get Python enabled in LT (it’s there in regular Maya), but no word on that yet.

Uhm… can anyone help me? I just downloaded the trial of Maya LT… but there is only a “send to unity” menu entry, I can’t find anything with unreal?

Do you have 2015 or 2016? It was seemingly bugged in the 2015 sp3 version. Install 2016 and it should be there.

Ah cool thanks for the tip! Didn’t know there was a 2016 version already. There I have the option!