Matterport to Unreal Pipeline?

I got my hands on Matterport Pro3 and used it on a free subscription plan.
After scanning it says that ‘this camera is not compatible with free plans’. Alright. Point taken.
But it does show me an option to Export the scan.
I did it and the Matterport app exported a zipped file.
On extracting it I can’t find anything which can be imported into Unreal.

I was goofily hoping I can just scan and get that data into Unreal.

Is that possible? or I’m just being silly af!

Hey @deva_k,

I was able to pull the .xyz point cloud from Matterport into Unreal by enabling the LiDAR point cloud plugin, dragging the .xyz file onto the Content Browser, then dragging it into the level. I got lucky and units and everything came in correctly. The location seems based on the point cloud’s center so you will likely have to locate it appropriately. I had to rotate mine 90 degrees for example.

I’m now looking to see how I can bring in the OBJ as a textured 3D mesh but haven’t figured it out yet. I’ll update this post when I figure it out! :slight_smile: Hope this helps

I was able to import the images as textured 3D mesh through more of the pieces that come with the Matterpack bundle. If you look in that same zip file the .xyz lived in you’ll find an .obj, a .mtl and a bunch of jpegs. I would recommend creating a separate folder in your content browser and dragging in first the jpegs - they will come through as textures. Then bring over the .mtl and .obj. If you do this in reverse order the .obj will come in just white and will lose all texture mapping to materials.

Then you drag your .obj into the level and place manually to align with your project. I was happy with how simple this workflow was.

Hi! I’m totally going to piggyback off this answer with a contribution and a question.

Contribution first: the XYZ looks crappy in unreal. You can adjust the global point budget (if your machine has a ton of ram) and make it look prettier. It’s kind of like a potree viewer.

Question: I’m trying to use the e57 from a pro3 scan in reality capture. Unfortunately it’s 772 scans, and causes RC to crash even though I’m on a massive enterprise workstation. Are you aware of a method to export the individual locations from cloud compare while maintaining the metadata? It’s driving me bonkers.

PS: let’s connect! It’s long overdue for the industry to use unreal and RC for BIM!

1 Like

Really fascinating discussions here! I’m keen to learn more about how we’re integrating these advanced scans into Unreal. Specifically, has anyone managed to convert these high-resolution meshes into Nanite meshes in Unreal? It would be incredibly helpful to see a detailed walkthrough or tutorial on this process. Looking forward to seeing this in action and gaining a deeper understanding of the workflow!