MatLayerBlend Problem

Thanks for clearing that up. I will have a go at setting up my material like that.

Looking at it, the only real difference is that the last layer on mine is plugged in twice to the last MatLayerBlend.
Whereas on yours, you have two layers plugged in to the last one.

I assume doing it the way you suggest would mean that I wouldn’t have a paintable layer for the base layer (cliff in my case).

It’s worth mentioning again, just to be completely clear. The material of mine, paints perfectly fine on a landscape. Its only when its an imported landscape.

I’ve yet to give this a try, but will be doing so later today when I get a chance.

Thanks again Ryan.

Right. Finally got to trying this.

So here is the material now. Based on your last screenshot material.

In World machine, I selected all the same areas as before, and none of the layers selected the cliff area. So, in theory it should be left untouched, and show cliff. At least that’s what I expected.

Unfortunately however it doesn’t display any cliffs at all and I have to erase other layers for the cliff to then appear.

Also, for some bizarre reason, the sand dunes layer doesnt appear to exist anywhere either. I can paint it on manually, but it doesn’t appear when imported.

Not using splatmaps at all. They are completely useless when working with landscapes you want to edit in UE4. Let alone working with tiled landscapes.

If you are importing and not seeing your cliffs, that means your other weightmaps are strong enough to cover it up.

And for the sand, it means your blend modulation may be a bit strong. It is expected when applying blend modulation that the apparent edge will move away from the original edge… Try removing the modulation and plugging in the straight blend. Then you may want to consider doing an additive scalar param offset before you do the 512 contrast multiply. My guess is that the large multiplier is pushing your alpha values mostly out of range.

That is just the nature of height blends. You take a soft masks (which is the worldmachine layer) and then increase the contrast using some other tiling texture (the sand height). The desired goal of that is to make the blend sharp but it can mean that only a certain value shows up. You won’d be able to see a soft feint sand, you are purposefully making it all or nothing.

“Not using splatmaps at all.”

Splatmaps is just a generic term for using masks inside worldmachine. Any time you render out a single erosion map technically you could refer to it as a splatmap. Typically it refers to channel packing the masks into one texture but that distinction is a bit meaningless when we are talking about landscape since you cannot channel pack the masks in a traditional way.