mATERIALS AND REPEATING PATTERNS

I have created a lot of materials so far and one common problem that I face is that it always gets stretched on my mesh. When I use texture coordinate, the material gets tiled, and no matter what variation I bring in my texture(macro variation), the texture seems to repeat itself. What should I do to avoid this repeating pattern so that everything looks good?

Yesterday, I was trying out mesh paint tool and I found that I could paint textures. Now suppose I want variation or differential sizes for my base texture for painting. alt text For eg in this material the red circle denotes the texture. Now I bring variation using parts circled blue. This is a starter content material. In this case I want to use the basecolour of this material as a single compact texture for another material( for painting meshes. How should I do this?

One more question, how do I change the tiling of my meshes and not my material?

You change the tiling on your meshes by unwrapping them better.
If you follow the rule that a 1024/1024 texture should be used for each 1 meter by 1 meter you can easily unwrap your mesh.

If you want to reduce tiling, either use textures that dont look so repetitive, get a second same-ish looking texture and lerp them with a cloud texture.

If you want to change the texture size in ue4, just add a texturecoordinateNode and change the tiling in that.

I don’t understand the 2nd para of your answer “lerp them with a cloud texture.”. I urge this because I have a " same-ish looking texture "

Is it possible that in each tile the texture sample is applied randomly by rotating it by something like 90 degrees or 180 degrees so as to obtain a more variating texture?

Lerp = Linear Interpolation node.
Cloud texture = Photoshop > render > clouds (google it :slight_smile: )

No, there is no random rotation node, you could rotate them yourself with the rotator node… but i doubt that will look really good.