Download

Material / shader with tessellation radius, effected by character

hey guys,
I’m asking myself if it is possible to create a POM shader / Material for the ground which effects the tessellation in a specified radius. So basically the tessellation should work only in a small area “radius” and be linked to the character. So when the character is moving the specified area is tessellated around the character and the rest beyond this radius is just a simple base/roughnees/metallic and normal setup…

I can think of some ways to do that. Would it be a first person setup where the player is basically the camera or do you mean around the actual camera? In a first person setup, Adaptive Tesselation works already like that, but for a more custom look you can use a Camera Vector.

If it is for a non first person game, You can look into Material Parameter Collections and feed the character location into the material using blueprints.

Sorry for not being clear with my question i was talking about the third and first person perspective… but the third person view would be more important.

Alrighty. This material right here should help you mask a radius around a position, fed in through blueprints using a material parameter collection.

&d=1404734708

wow, many thanks! Is it to much to ask if you can send me the shader / material by mail ?
I would send you my mail address by pm…

Sorry, I don’t have that material. I found the image graph on the forums on a foliage physics bend topic. Also, the material alone wouldn’t work by itself. The “Sphere Pos” node is actually a Parameter from a Material Parameter Collection, which allows you to access data from blueprints in the material editor. It works by sending the position of the player to the Collection using blueprints. I recommend you look for tutorials or read the documentation on them (Material Parameter Collections). They are really neat and learning them will really help you improve your skill a lot!

Have you tried using a distance blend node in your material?

I dont think it would work in this scenario. Distance blend calculates distance to the camera. He wants a distance blend as a radius around a character

ok cool, anyway thanks! i will see if i can figure out something with that… can you post the link to the thread where you have find this setup ?

Sure, here you go:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?1795-Foliage-collision-foliage-bend-on-collision-In-engine-feature&p=91355&viewfull=1#post91355

That’s my screenshot but it won’t help for your issue.
Calculating the distance between 2 points to control the tessellation factor causes splits along all edges of the mesh.

The built in adaptive tessellation is not based on distance btw but screen space. It uses an algorithm to calculate the tessellation factor based on the length/position of the 3 edges/vertices of each triangle.
This is something you can’t do in the material editor.

What he could do though is have the strength of the tesselation push distance blended using the method. That way some places would look tesselated and others not. I’d imagine the effect he wants to achieve is have the objets deform and change as he gets close to them.

Seems like a hard task, my basic idea was to use simply a pom ground material, which looks awesome but is also very performance hungry… so why not to use the tesselation only in a specified area around my character, i guess this will save me a lot of performance…

Right but that would somhow defeat the initial point of improving performance?

With POM you can easily lower the sample count based on distance or completely fade it out. Tessellation also has a performance cost, espacially with certain GPUs.

Edit:
By re-reading your posts it seems like you are refering to POM and Tessellation to be the same?

isn’t it like the same? both are adding geometry to a mesh… so far i know there are differences in the performance… thats all… Basically what i, looking for is the effect to use a heigh map to get more realistic results like for example in son ryse of rom, there are uisng in many areas pom materials / shaders and ground looks just amazing…

No, only DX11 Tessellation (Displacement) increases the resolution of a mesh by subdividing it multiple times.
POM is a pure pixel shader effect and only mimics additional geometry. Both use a height map though.
For a POM material check out this thread: POM material - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

ok, i thought it’s like the same… so whats the different between a normal map and pom ? and how expensiv is pom when comparing it to a simple normal map ?
The last image on page 1 in your thread… is it pom or tesselated ?

POM is expensive. You don’t want to be using it everywhere, and the last image in that thread is POM on decals I believe.