Material - masked / translucent

Whenever I set a material to blendmode = masked, it isn’t just opacity-masked, it’s also translucent at the same time. Even when I create a new material and do nothing except setting the blendmode, it always behaves this way… The opacity maks input doesn’t just determine the visibility (greater or smaller than 0.3333), but also the translucency/transparency. I didn’t even know you can have both at the same time. Anyway, I don’t want any translucency.

What am I missing here? I checked all the available settings, but most translucency-related options are disabled when using masked-mode, like you would expect. I creaed my project with “sacalable” performance settings. Could that have anything to do with it?

Hi, please post screenshots of the issue and the material. It would greatly help to understand the issue.

Are you using the forward renderer with 8x MSAA? If so, try setting it to 4x MSAA. There has been an issue with 8x MSAA and masked materials since UE4, I don’t think it will be fixed any time in the foreseeable future.

“Forward Shading” under “Forward Renderer” is checked, if that’s what you mean. However, “MSAA Sample Count” is set to “4x MSAA” already.

I’m not sure what good a screenshot would be. The problem is this: I create a new, blank material. I set the blend mode to masked. And any value between the threshold (0.3333) and 1.0 that goes into “opacity mask” produces a translucent effect, just like a translucent material. Everything below 0.3333 is invisible, as expected, and everything from 1.0 upward is completely opaque. The problem is the translucency in a masked material.

I don’t think that’s how it’s supposed to be, is it? In my understanding a masked material is either visible or not visible at any given point, but not gradually translucent.