Material Instance Dynamic Help

How do I set up Material Instance Dynamic so that when I “step on the brakes”, the material for the taillights become brighter and when I “release the brakes”, the material for the taillights become dimmer?

Use parameters from DMI’s

I watched the YouTube videos but the video on creating chair with random seat colors shows the chair as static mesh. The car that I’m using is skeletal mesh and doesn’t show up on the construction graph’s list on the left side. Any suggestions?

Hi JeffMorris,

You’re more than likely looking for something like a Material Parameter Collection. You an set some values here that are in your material. These parameters can then be affected through Blueprints and tied to an action. (ie. hitting a button to enable the brakes which in-turn makes the brake lights brighter)

You can find the documentation on them here.

I’m still learning some of this myself, but if you have any issues feel free to ask and I’ll see what I can to help you out!

Thank you!

Tim

I would not recommend using a Material Parameter Collection, that will over-complicate the situation. There’s a blueprint function on all primitive components (includes skeletal) called CreateAndSetMaterialInstanceDynamicFromMaterial which is what you need to setup the MID (Material instance dynamic). From there you can change parameters on the MID in game.

, I can’t find blueprint function called CreateAndSetMaterialInstanceDynamicFromMaterial.

I tried this in the above image and it worked.

Sorry it’s called CreateMIDForElementFromMaterial and it’s in the Material category. Glad you got it working

I think it has a different name(or the name isn’t set properly?)

MID.JPG

MID.JPG&d=1403626937&thumb=1

There are two Create Material Instance functions as shown in the above image.

How do I create turn signal lights that blink on and off? I saw Delay and While/Wend blueprint functions but I’m not sure if they are the correct functions. How do I create a toggle switch? I want to use the buttons on the XBOX 360 gamepad.
How do I make backup lights go on when “GetForwardSpeed” is less than 0?

Here;

You use a compare float node and compare the current value with -1. if it is -1 or less than -1 it sets the material’s emitter parameter.

You can use the “time” and the “mod” function. If “time mod 1.5 < 0.75” then make it bright, else make it dull.

That’s not something that you’d do in a material. Instead, you’d bind the “event button down” from the keypad to something that “set boolean variable” and use the same boolean variable with a “not” node to set the value to the inverse of the previous value.