Material highlight on mesh collision

Hi is there a way to get a mask mask or something vor the parts in lhe material witch are coliding with an other mesh?

For example an Energyfield in a cave and the outlines where the field collides with the rocks are glowing or if an npc walks through the field the silhouette of him.

Or water witch has a brighter color close to the coast.

Fresnel can help you. Sample is from UDK but the concept is same. If I understand you right.

Edit: Btw, you can enable/disable fresnel on collision events.

I found nearly exactly what i meant in borderlands pre sequel, And made a screen shot. Does anyone know how to build a material like this? Or what Material Function i should use?

Just use ‘Hit Event’ to set new parameter.

thanks for the answers but its not exactly what i meant. (Or i dont understand how i can do it with that solution :))

fresnel only shows me material changes on the sides like it should but what i need is changes on the collision edges. As you can see on the screenshot the sphere is colliding with the rocks and the floor. On the colliding lines there is a gradient. Thats the effect im looking for.

This is old but for people finding this who want an answer this effect is generally handled by using a material node called DepthFade. It looks up the distance of the next location behind a translucent pixel and returns the depth. Its main use is fading out edges that intersect meshes so you don’t see a line on your particles/etc but can be used any way you choose. In the screenshot above it has an opposite effect where it show more where the intersection happens.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/Depth/index.html#depthfade

This is old but for people finding this who want an answer this effect is generally handled by using a material node called DepthFade. It looks up the distance of the next location behind a translucent pixel and returns the depth. It’s main use is fading out edges that intersect meshes so you don’t see a line on your particles/etc but can be used any way you choose. In the screenshot above it has an opposite effect where it shows more where the intersection happens.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/Depth/index.html#depthfade