Manually set Android SDK and NDK on UE 5 for M1 MacOS?

I am new to UE and am trying to set it up to use my existing custom placed Android SDK and NDK paths. I am trying to follow the directions at the bottom of this doc under “Manually Targeting SDK Paths” but just can’t get it to show up.

I skipped running SetupAndroid.command and instead manually set my NDKROOT along with several other env vars in in both .bash_profile and .zprofile, and I manually added the settings to the project’s DefaultEngine.ini, but when I open the project, there is no “Android SDK” under Project Settings > Platforms, and in the editor’s Platforms dropdown, “!Android” is listed under “Platforms with no compiled support”, and it’s sub-menu has no value for “Installed SDK”.

I know I’m doing this the hard way, but any other suggestions I could try short of moving my SDK and NDK folders?

1 Like

Can you click the three dots next to it and browse to the SDK/NDK locations?

There are no 3dots next to any of the UI I referred to.

So, I opted to do the regular instructions (now opting out of the “manual” steps), and SetupAndroid.command ran successfully, then I rebooted and created a new “mobile AR” project from the template, and had the same result, Android is listed just like before under “Platforms with no compiled support”.

Are there extra steps that are not listed in the instructions because its UE5 instead of 4.27?

“Platforms - Android SDK” does not show up in my project settings, nor can I find any “Platform” settings in the general Editor preferences.

Check in the launcher to see if Android is checked under options.

Hi, I have the same problem. I have checked Android in options. Inside menu I can see this…

3 Likes

Didn’t know that was even there, but yes it’s checked. When I mouse over the individual projects in the UE launcher, they show Apple and iOS icons, but no Android icon.

I’m running low on ideas. I found a couple of posts on Slackers with the same issue but no solutions posted. My first thought is that maybe there’s a typo or something in the DefaultEngine.ini at project level since you mentioned changing that. If it was me I would probably uninstall all versions of UE5 and then install the latest one again, then before making any changes open a new project and see if the Android Platform settings are there.

Unfortunately that did not fix it either. I uninstalled UE5, removed all prefs I could find for it as well as one for 4.25. rebooted, reinstalled, and still the same. I did have an issue with the SetupAndroid.command file as it was looking for JAVA_HOME in a older location (path no longer has “jdk/”) and an older version of the sdkmanager (should now be in cmdline-tools), which succeeded eventually, but still the same results persist.

same issue, any solution? or UE5 bugs?

same issue QA:

2 Likes

New Version Release 5.0.1
With Fix → UE-148881 UE5 Mac Binary build does not have Android as a valid platform.
[UE-148881] (5.0.1 Hotfix Released)

Please check …

Hi,
When I check to build, it said The SDK for Android is not installed properly, which is needed to generate data. ( I already installed Android Studio and SDK&NDK , works fine on 4.27 )
Do you guys have the same problem?
Thanks

1 Like

Have you tried updating to UE 5.0.1? It included a fix for the Mac build not having Android as a valid platform.

Yes, I already updated to UE 5.0.1, But it still can not build Android APK for me.

The following video helped me sort out my SDK problems. The video is for UE4 but the SDK config is the same for both and the detailed description about specific Android Studio SDK setup and exact urls for the SKK, NDK and JRE worked however I did have to change the NDK from the suggested 23.0.7599858 to 21.4.7075529

Thank you very much! I’m using Mac M1 with Sonoma and UE5.3.2, let me know if you guys have a clue about how to set up the proper Android Studio Version and NDK/SDK/JDK’s configurations for this setup in order to work (build and launch a VR project for Quest 2). Thank you very much again!