Making part of an actor transparent?

I was watching this on youtube: Unreal Engine 4: Mobile Top Down RPG System Demonstration - YouTube
And I noticed this awesome effect which renders actors, that would otherwise obscure character visibility, partly transparent. Does anyone have an idea as to how he managed to create this effect?

Are you referring to the ‘partly transparent’ effect that the character has around him or the way the enemies turn invisible and disappear? The method of doing this would be to use an alpha mask on the material and setting the material to Masked where you will multiply the alpha channel by a parameter controlled by your bp from in game events. If you show me exactly what part you are talking about I could try to help you with that.

Hey Nken, thanks for your reply. I am trying to replicate the effect that the character has around him that renders static meshes partly transparent. NOT the disappearing enemies.

I’ve been messing around with custom depth and post processing effects in an attempt to recreate the effect. But I’m not sure that is the right approach.

I’ve managed to recreate the effect by following a tutorial I found on youtube.
Here is the link in case anyone else is curious: - YouTube