major shading issues

Not sure if this is a bug or not but having major shading issues in tight spaces
Full screen sometimes fixes this problem but not guaranteed
If your wondering what the error is, its that strange grid overlay

Hi Reactant,

This is a known issue with Distance Field AO. This was thought to have been solved with 4.7, but there are still some edge cases that can cause them to happen. This should only appear in the editor, but not when you PIE or use Standalone game.

Thank you!

Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim,
I’m afraid that I was in pie when I took this picture, I’ve also noticed that it happens a lot around destructible meshes, and happens less when full screened. Also if I view mesh distance fields the destructible meshes don’t actually have any, is this supposed to be the case?

Destructibles and other skeletal meshes are not supported by Distance Fields.

You can see the limitations of Distance Fields in both the DFAO and the DF Soft Shadows documentation. The limitations in both pages apply here. This information needs to be reorganized a little bit to be more clear.

I may have been mistaken with PIE. I’ve not been able to reproduce this since 4.7 was released myself.

When you launch in Standalone game, or package and launch this is no longer present, correct?

I have not tried that myself, I’ll do a packaged build run and see if I can recreate the issue

okay i still have not packaged but i have a question, im trying to do roads, and at the moment using splines and distance fields does not work well at all, is there any way to disable distance field on my spline mesh and just use csm, i dont want to change my lighting for my roads or my roads for my lighting

Splines will not work with Distance Fields due to the way they are generated. They are not meant to be used for really large objects, or scaled non-uniformly.

You can open the static mesh you’re using for the roads. In the build settings you can select the the option for Distance Field Resolution and set that to 0. Then hit apply. This will not generate a distance field and allow only the CSM to be used.

No problem. Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Wicked I looked right at the resolution scale but assumed there would be a boolean value somewhere I could set, but good to know I can use regular cascaded shadow maps

Ill keep posted about what happens with shading in packaged build, just want to get more of the map done so that if its good enough i can also send the package for play testing