Main Menu flickers on Unreal Engine

Older drivers works! I got a recent 466.11 and It makes a problem with UE4 UI

Disabling window animations fixed it for me in 4.26.2-15973114+++UE4+Release-4.26. Seems kind of obnoxious to have an editor option that will basically make the editor unusable on any system ¯\(ツ)/¯

in win 10 you cant disable anymore. only in win7 :frowning:
i cant find a solution . i dont wont install old drivers

Anyone knows another way I can access the editor settings, This glitch wont let me click on anything :S

Restarting the editor is the only way besides maybe duplicating the project.

Disabling “Enable Window Animations” from the answer below fixed it for me. You can use the up/down arrow keys to select the menu item since selecting with the mouse probably won’t work.

Same issue on Ue4 2.27 and NVIDIA 472.12

Did try that, it last some more but it happens again.
Ue4 2.27 and NVIDIA 472.12

Has anyone reported this to Nvidia? Seems like it may be on their end… I have had the same issue for a while but thought it was the game ready driver switch i did recently… have had the Studio driver for a long time w/o issues… will look that driver up but Nividia would probably benefit knowing about it

Will this ever be fixed?

I had the same issue with flickering menus/editor in UE5 on Windows 10 and RTX3060, nvidia drivers up-to-date version 512.59 (both Game Ready and Studio versions). What seems to have fixed it for me was to go in Windows’ Control Panel and switch on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling (Control Panel->Display->Graphics Settings).

Still happening with UE 4.27 on Win11 and an RTX3080Ti.

HERE’S THE FIX

It’s 2022 and I’ve got the most up to date drivers, and this is still happening with version 4.27.2. Have not used 5.0 yet, so do not know if it’s fixed in that version, but 4.27.2 is the newest version before 5.0, so I doubt it’s fixed in prior versions.

I’m disabling High DPI Support like one person suggested, as Window Animations are already disabled, and there’s nothing else I can do (besides using 5.0 only, but that would most likely break all my projects). Hopefully that fixes it.

2 Likes

I’d imagine it’s some issue with the multiplane overlays that get composited in the desktop window manager. There were a ton of issues that started up a year or two ago because both Microsoft and Nvidia both flipped it on all the way. The problems weren’t just with UE, but with games and apps as well. Don’t know if it still works, but there’s a registry key you can add that disables it. You’ll have to google around for it, just look up “windows disable mpo.” Make sure to restart the PC after you change it. See if the problem still persists.

Oh and make sure you’re on Windows 10 or 11 21H2 and that you’re fully up to date with system updates.

EDIT: Saved you some digging: After updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations | NVIDIA

There’s a couple .reg files you can download to turn it on and off. Again, make sure to restart after using one.

2 Likes

So far so good, that seems to have fixed it! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi!

Thank you very much for the Nvidia Link.

Do you know, where these registry entries will be placed,
bc I’m not comfortable with just adding them automatically.

I would enter them manually, so that I can turn them off again, in case they mess with some other programs.

Looking forward to hear from you! :slight_smile:

They go in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm

And the keys are simple, if it’s not there or you delete it, it enables MPO. If it is there, it has a DWORD named OverlayTestMode and a value of 5.

Within the MPO disable .reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
“OverlayTestMode”=dword:00000005

Within the enable .reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
“OverlayTestMode”=-

(it removes the key)

As you can see, it’s just a single key and nothing too complex. So using the two .reg files will save you time. Make sure to reboot after changing.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply!