macOS Material MTLDepthStencilDescriptor crash

When editing a material in the Material Graph Editor, and then hitting “Apply”, my binary UE4 project fails an assertion in Metal state validation:

validateDepthStencilState:3794: failed assertion `MTLDepthStencilDescriptor sets depth test but MTLRenderPassDescriptor has a nil depthAttachment texture'

This asserts and cannot be skipped, crashing all the way out to desktop. This has been an issue since 4.24.1 and was hoping that the 4.24.3 patch would fix it, but no dice. This prevents me from creating new materials and editing existing materials, so it is a MAJOR bug that needs to be investigated to unblock my project. Thanks!

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

For anyone who might find this: I have found that this crash does not occur when launching the project/editor from the EGL or otherwise not using Xcode to launch and attach the debugger. I would guess that Metal API validation is disabled when launching from the Epic Games Launcher, so this crash no longer occurs.
This means that an effective work-around for this crash is to open the project from the EGL when working on Materials for now.