M1 Mac 4.26 Compatibility Report

Checking in with a new M1 Max MacBook Pro here. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

• Using UE 4.27.1, it’s still quite crashy.
  • My existing project (created on Windows) loads some of the time, but either crashes or freezes the whole system (requiring a hard reboot).
  • However, starting a new project (Third Person) on the Mac seems to work fine.

Performance wise, here’s what I saw vs. my gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 5800X, GeForce 1050 Ti) at the same resolution and r.ScreenPercentage set to 100:

• Using Play In Editor, the Third Person project ran at 128 fps on M1 vs. 180 fps on PC. This was disappointing.
  • However, when actually packaging up the project and running that, the M1 performed much better: with the game at 1080p, M1 got 240 fps (and seemed artificially capped) vs. 136 fps on PC. I don’t know where the fps limit is coming from, as it persisted even with t.MaxFPS set to 0 or a high number, and VSync off.
  • M1 can even render the game above 60 fps at 4K resolution.

I’m going to try some of the configuration adjustments people have recommended to see if I can get my existing project to stop crashing and freezing…

5 Likes

4.27.1 & 4.27.2 work fine for me, on M1 Air. Haven’t had any issues since ~4.26, I adjusted the settings in my project though. (mentioned above)

Curious to know how things are going for you after making the adjustments?

1 Like

I confirm, all is working well with UE 4.27.2 from PC and Mini Mac M1 on iPad 12.9 (last model with M1 too), Xcode 13.2.1 and ipadOS 15.3.1…

Still doing great in ue5! I no longer have to adjust project settings either :smile:

It’s very fast

1 Like