M1 Mac 4.26 Compatibility Report

Are you still having the freezing issue after adjusting your settings?

I tried letting it sit but it seems I wasn’t patient enough… lol

Never any freezing and no graphic glitches with settings above.
I am using 4.26 for almost 2 months like this. Very smooth on 5K monitor, especially with editor setting “Enable High DPI Support” off.

Just remember to “Cook content for Mac” and “Validate Data” whenever you change platform settings for MacOS in the project settings.

In project settings > Cooker , i enabled the first two options to let is also cook in the background, to speed things up, when needed.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Got it working over this way!

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s working really well for me, but I can’t wait for native Apple silicon version. Anyone had any luck building the arm version from source?

1 Like

So I’m doing something totally dumb, and I shouldn’t expect this to work, however…I’ve made it this far so…here it goes.

I’m running Windows 11 via Parallels on a M1 Mac, which is running the beta of Monterey. So far so good.
I’m attempting to open an existing PC project in 4.26.2, but the Shader Compiler Worker fails to run (shocking, I know).

I’ve actually gotten Unreal to launch and run the editor just fine with the default tutorial projects, so my hangup at this moment seems to be with shaders on the existing project.

Anyone else try anything this dumb yet?

What are some ideas I could try here? Can I use a custom shortcut and tell it to just…not compile shaders? Not launch the Shader Compiler Helper and just let me look at grey objects? Just to see if I can get that far, get into the project and see if I can navigate my way through it and whatnot?

Just wanted to update this thread with my latest findings.

After updating to big sur 11.5.1 and xcode 12.5.1 the graphical glitches that were happening in the default third person template are now gone. It renders the default third person template map and my personal project fine with no issues whatsoever. In addition to this the crashing/freezing that I was encountering every 5-10 minutes seems to have also been resolved! Very good news, I haven’t done a full day of development on it but it seems that you could now safely use a m1 mac for unreal dev.

2 Likes

Still working lovely :slight_smile: Absolutely insane how zippy this thing is.

1 Like

I took the plunge and got a M1 Macbook Air and same - works beautifully and zippy. Thanks again to this topic. I find I use UE5 all the time now ( but no nanite yet ?)

Chiming in here as well, have Epic commented on potentially supporting M1 Macs natively at any point? Would the current lawsuit affect plans or chances of that happening?

Want to move away from Unity while the project is still in early stages, and wanted to try UE5 as well. Doesn’t currently support Monterey (beta 7) though, since the XCode version got updated.

Ue4 def will not ever support arm natively and I haven’t heard anything about ue5 supporting arm either. I think the lawsuit is negatively impacting ios support.

1 Like

Yeah I was afraid that would be the case, but surely UE5 would get support for it eventually.

The original Rosetta program ran from 2006 to 2011, at which point Lion removed support for the program entirely. We’re almost at release 2 of ARM native MacOS versions, currently.

Strategically timed bump, the M1 Max looks absolutely skitz! The lawsuit probably sours Epic’s desire to support them though…

EDIT: Tim Sweeney just confirmed it’s still in the works https://twitter.com/ajm4k/status/1450161892668936195?s=20

2 Likes

So like most Mac users I’m eyeing up the new MacBooks. What’s the current state of 4.27, is it running relatively hitch free on M1 now? What about 5?

1 Like

UE5 works OK ish, getting around 40FPS on the default top down template map for example, with the current MBP + 8GB RAM. New ones should be a lot better I’d imagine. Performs much better with lower resolution percentages.

Quixel Bridge crashes on startup currently.

4.27 is a bit more stable, but around the same performance.

1 Like

I wonder how the new ones will perform. At the compatibility level it should be the same though. No Nanite and no Lumen. There is a new branch in github (5.0) that was created Today. In case someone wants to give it a shot with a M1 and see if there is ARM support.

Hello! Yesterday I tried building UE5 from 5.0 branch on M1 Air, but they have some issues with references i guess, because ‘GenerateProjectFiles.command’ gives me this error:

Setting up Unreal Engine 5 project files…

Setting up bundled DotNet SDK

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/EpicGames.Core.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “JetBrains.Annotations (>= 2021.2.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”. [/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Build/EpicGames.Build.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Data.DataSetExtensions (>= 4.5.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”. [/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/EpicGames.Core.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “OpenTracing (>= 0.12.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”. [/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Build/EpicGames.Build.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “JetBrains.Annotations (>= 2021.2.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”. [/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Build/EpicGames.Build.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “OpenTracing (>= 0.12.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”. [/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp (>= 3.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “OpenTracing (>= 0.12.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Management (>= 4.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController (>= 4.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Text.Encoding.CodePages (>= 4.7.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Reflection.MetadataLoadContext (>= 4.7.2)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Data.DataSetExtensions (>= 4.5.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “JetBrains.Annotations (>= 2021.2.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp (>= 3.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “OpenTracing (>= 0.12.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Management (>= 4.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController (>= 4.7.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Text.Encoding.CodePages (>= 4.7.1)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Reflection.MetadataLoadContext (>= 4.7.2)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “System.Data.DataSetExtensions (>= 4.5.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “JetBrains.Annotations (>= 2021.2.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.IO (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Reflection (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Resources.ResourceManager (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Runtime (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.unix.System.Runtime.Extensions (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Runtime.Handles (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Runtime.InteropServices (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Text.Encoding (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Threading.Tasks (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Reflection.Primitives (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Globalization (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Collections (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.unix.System.Diagnostics.Debug (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “runtime.any.System.Diagnostics.Tracing (>= 4.3.0)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1/osx-x64”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “Microsoft.NETCore.App.Runtime.osx-x64 (= 3.1.7)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

/Users/kostbllb/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj : error NU1100: Не удалось разрешить “Microsoft.AspNetCore.App.Runtime.osx-x64 (= 3.1.7)” для “.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1”.

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: Failed to build UnrealBuildTool

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

Checking in with a new M1 Max MacBook Pro here. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

• Using UE 4.27.1, it’s still quite crashy.
  • My existing project (created on Windows) loads some of the time, but either crashes or freezes the whole system (requiring a hard reboot).
  • However, starting a new project (Third Person) on the Mac seems to work fine.

Performance wise, here’s what I saw vs. my gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 5800X, GeForce 1050 Ti) at the same resolution and r.ScreenPercentage set to 100:

• Using Play In Editor, the Third Person project ran at 128 fps on M1 vs. 180 fps on PC. This was disappointing.
  • However, when actually packaging up the project and running that, the M1 performed much better: with the game at 1080p, M1 got 240 fps (and seemed artificially capped) vs. 136 fps on PC. I don’t know where the fps limit is coming from, as it persisted even with t.MaxFPS set to 0 or a high number, and VSync off.
  • M1 can even render the game above 60 fps at 4K resolution.

I’m going to try some of the configuration adjustments people have recommended to see if I can get my existing project to stop crashing and freezing…

5 Likes

4.27.1 & 4.27.2 work fine for me, on M1 Air. Haven’t had any issues since ~4.26, I adjusted the settings in my project though. (mentioned above)

Curious to know how things are going for you after making the adjustments?

1 Like

I confirm, all is working well with UE 4.27.2 from PC and Mini Mac M1 on iPad 12.9 (last model with M1 too), Xcode 13.2.1 and ipadOS 15.3.1…

Still doing great in ue5! I no longer have to adjust project settings either :smile:

It’s very fast

1 Like