Lumen Reflections

Hello,

I am having trouble with Lumen reflections. Is there anyway to improve the splotches all around the image and the quality of the shadows reflected with Lumen? As you can see in the image it is they are really bad and not usable at all.

When the “screen Tracing” kicks in, results are acceptable, but for close ups or things that are just out of the screen quality is really bad

I have tried all parameters in the Post process volume, some of them, like “Lumen Scene Quality” it improves a bit the splotches (sadly not at a useful level), but has not effect on the reflected shadows.

The Lumen Reflections Quality seems to have no effect at all on the reflections quality

Also, If I try the “Hit lighting for reflections” mode, Shadows seem to improve, but the splotches are still there and now, Translucent materials do not let light to go through them in the reflections and metallic materials are reflected black.

Any way to improve this results so UE5 becames usable at all?

EDIT:
Thanks to @alberto I unchecked “Cast raytraced shadows” from the glass material and now when I use “Hit lightning for reflections” I see correct lighting in the reflections…But still have not found a way to improve the GI splotches wich are very annoying and the fact that metallic materials appear black in reflections…any ideas to improve results?

thank you!

Hello @Idgi
Do you have in the skylight activated?
Uncheck in that case

Also use real time capture!

And in the case is not working well take a look at this video!

1 Like

@alberto thank you for your answer!

in the skylight “lower hemisphere is solid color” is already unchecked and it is also set to real time capture

I have already seen that video, no solution for this things there

Oh of course is possible make wonderful reflections combining ray tracing and lumen!

There is another video, let me check

Well I don’t dint it now, here there is some variables:

I play with some settings and vars like:

I hope it helps

ahh the lights

Hey Alberto, thank you for your advise!

Sadly, this is an archviz interior scene. So I can not rely on the Standalone Ray traced reflections, because they ignore GI and you get things like this:

So I have to use Lumen (or baked light, but I am testing UE5 to make everything dynamic illumination) When using Lumen, I use the Hardware raytracing, by activating it in the project settings and setting the reflections mode to “Hit lighting for reflections” witch you get the second image from my original post: splotches from the GI, no metallic materials appearing in reflections and the problem with the translucent materials in the reflections not letting the löight pass through…but only when the “screen Tracing” goes out, so in things that are out of the screen range

If I use Ray traced shadows on the directional light, the Glass translucent material does not let the light go through:

I am using a very simple glass material:

oh it cannot be! there is not a material with 0 and 1 values! It will break rays
I’ve just suggested to someone to take a look to this it has amazing materials

Oh look that!

Yes, I am well aware of the PBR rules, as said, that is a simple glass material, changing the specular value to 0.5 by default or adding a bit of roughness like 0.05, and the colour tint to something not complete black does not make a difference with what I am trying to achieve here…also those values are corrected on the material instance…

For what I see in that post, What is happening to me with the metallic in the reflections is expected…and I can not use a fallback cubemap, because the hole thing is to have dynamic lighting…

@alberto Thank you very much for your efforts!!!

1 Like