Lumen reflections being occluded, screen space?

Hey there,

I’m using Lumen in UE5 for nice reflections on a water surface, and usually it’s reflecting the landscape around the water really nicely.

However, when I move an object in front of the landscape, whatever is behind that object no longer gets reflected, and there are ugly bright patches left behind where there should be landscape reflected (see screenshot).

I imagine this is because the reflection is in screen space, and the object is occluding the landscape in screen space so Lumen doesn’t know what to reflect there.

Is there anything I can do to fix these artifacts while keeping it real-time and not using the deprecated raytracing reflection mode?

Thanks for any help!

Look at the section about large worlds. Lumen, like basically all raytracing, has a limited trace distance for performance reasons. After this distance is exceeded, it will use screen tracing. Your landscape is too far away and thus isn’t being included in the Lumen Scene. The documentation talks about dealing with it, but in some cases you may have to live with it for performance reasons.

1 Like

Thank you that link is super helpful!
Will step through that large world section and see if there’s some console variables that might help

I have the same issue, but it’s not open world and the distance is tiny.

Again same issue in 5.3.2, has anyone found any solution? I know it’s caused by the Screen Space component on Lumen’s reflections, but no other lead

You can either disable the screen tracing, or use the lumen visualization viewmodes and try to make sure the lumen view is a closer match to the SSR.

NOTE: if you have low/medium reflection setting in engine scalability settings, Lumen will use Screen Space instead of… Lumen reflection. It took me while :slight_smile: