Lumen GI and Reflections feedback thread

I can now use full-res nanite meshes to trace against, and neither the performance costs nor the memory usage is anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

What would you say would be more performant in City Sample? 5.2-SWRT Lumen+VSM’s or 5.3’s HWRT lumen with RT shadows (no VSM’s?).

Makes no difference to my target hardware which is now current gen consoles (PS5 etc.) and PC’s make up the 30 series and other GPU vender equivalents. (All have rt cores)

Is there any way you can increase how aggressively VSM caches things

Tbh, I am very confused with VSM’s. (The documentation has not helped much). All I know is medium, low res vsm’s is are all I need and regular SM can’t handle(cost 11ms etc) the high resolution meshes.
I feel as if VSM computing power is being wasted on softening the shadows. My projects photorealism doesn’t need require it. Hard shadows look better tbh(Imo/project). Even If I change the source angle, I don’t know if the engine is still computing with the 0 value. I need a hard cut(Cvar) on that “feature”. I would like any input of the VSM’s caching if you have any?

5.3, it actually performs significantly worse than 5.2-Yaeko

Thanks for sharing that. I had a couple of moments where I thought the newest version performance was worse but then I looks at each scene with the real time stat gpu cvar and I found that Lumen and shadows had the same ms cost but [unaccounted] was way higher than the previous versions? Check and see the ms timings on lumen and shadows etc.

If each feature has a higher millisecond with no [unaccounted] affecting performance then vote this thread.

Also, TSR as told to me by the creator is not meant for native resolution (). It’s was meant for upscaling only. Epic TAA is far cheaper (.30ms vs 3ms lmao) and can look almost as good with my modified variables.

I do not use Nanite for everything

Fortnite 5.1 and City Sample has showed me that needs to be the case. I will not be relying on Nanite in my game unless it’s proving to be much more performant than the LOD set up I make for the mesh.

Lol, btw has anyone noticed that UE5 games(using lumen workflow) are built like Fortnite? Every little piece of the world is broken up into separate pieces lmao.