Download

Lumen doesn't work on M1 Mac

Hi everybody,

I installed the UE 5.0.0 version on my new M1 Mac (Big Sur 11.4), it runs smoothly, BUT Lumen does not work. I have no realtime GI, I get the usual pre-lumen “Lighting needs to be rebuild” messages. Lumen is activated in the project settings though.

Did is miss something? Is it not working on a M1 Mac?

Full Disclaimer. I am by far not an UE Pro *smiles

Hi, I have an M1 Max and I’m sure since your question was asked 6 months ago, you’re probably very aware now that Lumen, Nanite and Ray Tracing aren’t available for the M1 at this time (but really hoping they become available)

I’m not into game dev, just looking at virtual production for low-budget projects using pre-key’d green screen footage, so our use cases may be very different.

For me, options seem to be…

1. The obvious – buy a Ryzen/3070 or better desktop (that’s what helpful members of the Unreal Engine Facebook group recommended to me as a minimum. I came close to doing this but since I’m just getting my feet wet/seeing the possibilities, seemed too soon to make that kind of investment, especially when – nothing against them at all – but I’ve just never enjoyed working on PCs, lol)

2. Jumping to other software like Unity or Blender for VP since I have no driving need for live keying/compositing, but of course that jump comes with either a less friendly environment for virtual production (and more coding, ack!) or longer render times for Blender’s Eevee and much longer renders for Blender’s Cycles.

3. I’m optimistically looking forward to testing this soon – iRender GPU hub. Ideally, I’d fully develop the project on my Mac, then, on one of iRender’s dedicated PCs (not shared with anyone else while you’re on it), instal Unreal Engine and upload my project files & assets, giving me full access to Nanite, Lumen and ray tracing for final renders. That’s the plan anyway, ha!

Cheers