Low Performance on Rendering Characters

I am using UE 5.2. My kit is RTX2060 Super, i5 9400F, 2x16 gb ram.

Engine scalability settings are set to high. I get around 110 FPS on level without characters. But when I put a character and render it by looking in game, it decreases to 50-60. When I face away, it increases to 110 again. In addition, looking at character suddenly decreases FPS to 15-20, for 1 second. I am using the NPC Optimization Proxy. Thanks to this plugin, large number of characters do not lead to crucial FPS drop. If I spread 100 NPCs to level and render some of them (around 5-10 at the same time), FPS remains stable around 40-50.

So the main problem is rendering character. My characters are from City Sample Crowd pack. FPS without animation and code is not much different. I tried other NPC meshes from UE Marketplace but the result is around the same or worse.

Looking for your suggestions,

thanks for your time.

hi,have you set LODs for the character?

you can check it in skeletal mesh editor.zoom in and out to see if the triangle changes at all.

however I’m not sure if it’s LODs issue,but it could be one of the aspects.

Yeah triangles change a lot. Around 17000 triangle from close look (only char’s head). I tried to set triangles from skeletal mesh aditor. I set custom lod on, but couldnt adjust max triangles and some settings.

Also, here is lod settings of lodsync component in character bp.

I got the problem, face animation kills fps.

I just disabled post process bp of face.

Here is difference:

1 Like

Congrats you found the solution.
if you want to change max triangles you can adjust the “percentage of triangle”.however I notice the option in your screenshot is grayed out.
it’s been a while since last time I adjusted it.so I don’t seem to remember the exact steps to operate it.
here only i can do is find the docs for you…