Loud coil whine in Unreal Engine 5 viewport?

Hello,

i have a strange problem and I don’t understand exactly why. I own an Asus Strix RTX 3090, which usually has no coil whine. Neither in 3D benchmarks with very high FPS numbers, nor in games. However, when I’m in the Unreal Engine Editor and moving the camera, it makes a very loud coil whine noise and I don’t understand why. I’ve already locked the frame rate to 60 fps, but absolutely no difference and in games or benchmarks, as I said, there is absolutely no coil whine even at 120 fps or higher. The problem really only occurs with the Unreal Engine. Does anyone know what to do about it and has seen something similar? Any setting it could be? I would be really grateful for any help!

Mine screams too

My 3090 doesn’t have any coil whine but my 3080 caused my VRM to whine, make sure its not your motherboard causing the sound, you can disable realtime on the view port it will stop the whine and save you on your power bill also don’t forget your pretty much running your GPU and full usage on the core when its rending the view port.

1 Like

It is scream of joy not whine.

Probably unreal gets it pumped to the max. Try some overclocking tool, and slow down (undervolt a bit etc) your card see if anything changes. First step is finding out what condition brings your card to sing.

Just be carefull with those overclocking tools.

Yes i´ve tried it, but the coil whine only went away after I throttled the card to 50% power. Now I even had the graphics card exchanged, but unfortunately it also makes the coil whine, albeit a bit quieter. But it really can’t be? Don’t many others have that too? The problem really only occurs with the Unreal Engine.

Are you sure its somewhere on graphics card? It may be some power delivery in PSU or on motherboard. Probably because unreal drains more power than normal games,they optimized for average PC now, while unreal editor is not out of box.

Yes, as far as I can hear. But isn’t it possible to put a power cap on the Unreal Engine or something? I have an RTX 3090 and an i9 12900k and the PC gets quite sweaty even with not so big scenes. That’s ridiculous??

Coil whine is just life of having a high end card/instances of extremely high FPS (thousands). It’s not really a problem that it’s occurring, it’s only an annoyance.

1 Like

Yes, but it can’t be that the viewport requires so much power. If I turn realtime off, the textures etc. get worse, which is also annoying. As I said, my PC is not ereally weak. That’s ridiculous. Are there any workarounds or other things so that the viewport doesn’t draw so much power? I already capped the FPS to 60. I’ve never had problems like this with Blender.

I have a 3080 and mine does kind of the same
I also cap at 60fps
I noticed that coil whine usually disarear if I use the unlit mode
After a while it stops, it seems something that the card does when it’s cold
Doesn’t happen all the time, now I am working on another project and it never coil whines

I also wish to power cap UE because most of the time I don’t need that much power and in general coil whine is very annoying, not to mention, more power more hot air in the room.

It’s really strange. I have now exchanged 3 different graphics cards and even changed the PSU, but apart from a few small differences, always the same. It really seems to be something that only triggers the Unreal Engine, so I don’t understand why this issue isn’t upsetting more people. Quite apart from the ridiculously high PC load in the viewport, which causes the computer to become a real heater even with simple scenes. When realtime is activated, the image also has a bit of noise. Could it maybe have something to do with the coil whine?

3 Likes

Older people do not hear high pitch coil whine. And maybe it is not whining for everybody.

Are you certain it is from PC and not monitor? What about opening case and listening where it comes from, it may be motherboard.

Maybe you can get something to measure high pitch sounds and then check with good quality microphone where it comes from.

1 Like

Did anyone find a solution?
I also have an asus strix 3090, with an amd 5950.
The coil whine is reall loud, plus all the fans go crazy (It doesn’t really happen like this with other intensitve applications).
I can’t personally bare the whine since high pitch sounds affect me really bad, and it’s blocking me from using ue at all :frowning:

I notice that, for instance, if I click and hold in some UI elements in the Editor, then the whine stops, and if I release the mouse it comes back (?

Anyone?

2 Likes

Same Problem with my rtx 2070 super max q :frowning:

1 Like

Same here with a 2070. Setting the viewport to unlit seems to help a bit, but doesn’t completely solve the problem.

Hope this gets fixed, super annoying. Still happening with my 3080 in UE5, not a single other program/game/gpu benchmark gives me coil while. In HWINFO I cant see whats causing it, memory temps and usage is low, fans speeds are low, what a mystery

1 Like

Same problem
I have Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 laptop with Rtx 3080 and 64 gigabytes of RAM

I just wanted to switch from UE4 to UE5 and this brought me to this exact problem.
Moreover, I had an annoying window that said that I have some graphics card issue (which I didn’t really before installing UE5), but ok. I installed lated graphic driver Nvidia Studio and after that the message of an graphics card has gone but the problem with coil whine appeared and doesn’t go away.

So frustrated about it

Same problem here with a 3080. It goes away when I disable ray tracing.

2 Likes

same problem with Unreal 5 and Twinmotion.

I had the same problem when using front headphone jack. After switching to the rear jack, the noise disappeared.