Loud coil whine in Unreal Engine 5 viewport?

Did anyone find a longterm solution for this problem? Just build a new pc with 3090 and 5950x and have intense coil whine in UE5 editor. Is there a driver that doesnt do that?

I had same issue, and for me just using “t.maxFPS 60” in the console to set my max viewport fps equal to my monitor refresh rate solved it.

2 Likes

Same issue with an A4000 and 60hz monitor.
Turning off real time rendering in viewport (ctrl+r) or setting max fps to 60 like @eoneill mentioned helped.

1 Like

Hi
Perhaps you are getting the wrong side of the stick. I think your problem is locking the fps at 60 itself. I have the same issue and I’m pretty sure it’s coil whine. you obviously have a powerful setup. You said you haven’t had this problem in any game or benchmark true?! I used to think the same thing. But I think you had it, you just couldn’t hear it. Me and you probably play all of our games at ultra settings with high fps (144 or less) And benchmarks put the graphics cards to test. When GPU is at 100% usage, The current that goes to the Graphics card is maximum, and because of that, the coil rattles really fast with a high pitch when you fix the fps at 60 or 30 the usage lowers resulting in less need for power current, the coil rattles slower with a lower pitch. therefore it’s really harder to hear it at 100% usage rather than at 60 or 30 fps. you have to get really close to hear it at full graphic usage and most of the time it’s blocked by the fans’ noise. we got worried because when using UE5 viewport we could easily hear the coil whine. you can fix this problem( I hope) if you use t.maxFPS command and set the max fps as high as your games so that the GPU usage is 99% then the coil whine sound would revert as if you were playing games. (I checked a game vs UE5 with the highest frame possible and got the same amount of coil whine noise which previously I thought was normal while playing the game compared to the really loud coil whine of UE5). But that has a catch too because then your GPU would always be under pressure as if you are playing games and would consume more power and produce more heat. And if you use a software like Armoury crate or Nvidia experience overlay to monitor the graphics usage you see that the GPU instantly goes to 0 usage or power-saving mode when you get out of the viewport’s focus by clicking anywhere else. that’s why the coil whine noise instantly stops because the current flow to GPU is cut. Try changing the max fps to different numbers to see whether the noise pitch changes or not. you said you changed graphics cards and the problem didn’t fix perhaps UE could fix it with an update but don’t worry too much because most of the time coil whine is more of an annoyance rather than a problem. I hope my experience can help you in understanding more about what’s going on with your system

I have a 3090 OC and same issue here. The card is just doing what it does, but it is an annoyance. I’ve played around with t.maxFPS … from 30 to 200. As I go up from 60 it gets higher and fans start to blow. As I go below 60 it gets quieter and quieter. The sweetspot where I hear nothing and GPU and CPU usage really dips is limiting it to about 45 FPS. I’ll take some framerate hit in the editor to have quiet machine.

I have an Asus ROG 3080ti, the same problem here. I see a lot of people experience this issue with their Asus cards. I even changed a PSU at some point thinking it might be the culprit. Just got used to it in the end. Capping the fps helps, but if it still arritates the s out of you - underclock your GPU.

Same coil noise for ASUS ROG RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC and UE 5.1.1
Temp fix is to apply FPS cap at 60, like console → t.MaxFps 60

FPS cap could also be set via project settings, by adjusting “Fixed framerate” property

1 Like

My laptop RTX 3060 has the same issue, only with UE5 the sound is very annoining

Can confirm the coil whine on a laptop, UE 5.3 with a basic vehicle template. Goes away if disabling the real-time rendering, adjusting the FPS reduces the noise but can still be audible.

Strangely, it’s not heard in UE4.

Hi, same problem here, 3090 waterforce from gigabyte
It’s not on every project and it depends where i look but on a simple scene with a landscape + stylized grass + tree = crazy coil whine, i can reduce it a little bit by capping fps at 60.
Using UE5.3

For everyone complaining: This is a hardware problem. Period. Full stop. This is how the hardware is designed. Trying to make a profit in making graphics cards is hard, and costs are typically cut to the lowest possible, and game benchmarks/reviews measure FPS, not emitted sound, so that’s what matters.

And, yes, it sucks. The least bad option is to find and put on some closed-cup headphones to attempt to mask it out.

That being said – I’m surprised about the A4000 report of coil whine. The professional cards are supposed to actually be well designed. Whoever sold that might be willing to do warranty service (although if it happens with a second card, then it’s a design defect in that card – just because it’s “pro” doesn’t mean they won’t try to save money in making it.)

1 Like

Some years ago (nvidia 480Ti times), i had that “Great” idea of going SLI.
Everything worked fine (besides that SLI was a marketing scam). However unreal boiled my two cards to 110C in just minutes after running UT3.

All because out of box unreal always went happy for max fps. That boiled my cards, setting it to 60 fps helped.

What i am saying is that coil whine is unreal still happily pushing your hardware to the limits, which most of current games does not. Unreal Editor is really heavy piece of software, so limit that fps to 60.

The same problem is only in Anrial. Will this be fixed?

Just got my First 4080 & even in a blank scene It sounds terrible like a short circuit. but clicking on any of the UI it goes and comes back as soon as I release I also set the frame limit but I can still hear it. It Only does this in UE

Its the frame rate…sadly. In games and also in Unreal viewport if your framerates exceed 100 starts coil whine. The only solution that worked for me is undervoltage and fixed frame rate 60-90. Stills makes sound but minimal.