LOD lightmaps

Is there a way to somehow control lightmap resolution for LODs? I’m so sick of baking light only to find out that there are horrible pop-ins on LODs because their lightmap resolution is so different from each other.
For example, I have a tile of floor made out of wooden planks. And I have 3 LODs for it (counting lod0).
When it’s dynamic light, I can’t even see LODs switching when moving camera around. But with baked light it’s extremely noticeable because each LOD has different shade to it!

You need to have a good lightmap of the right resolution for each LOD in the mesh editor.

What resolution? That’s exactly the point!

I have no idea what lightmap resolution ue4 wants for LODs! Because there’s no control for it! Or none that I’m aware of.

So I have to just guess blindly. Even then the results can be ■■■■ when unreal decides to make lod2’s lightmap resolution so low its shadows turn into a formless blob. And its extremely noticeable, casing so-called “lod pop-ins”.

You can specify lightmap res per LOD in the mesh editor.

The parameter under LOD settings is the UV packing resolution, not what lightmap resolution would be used for this LOD.

And the lightmap resolution under General Settings sets the resolution for the base mesh only, and then after light was built the engine automatically decides what resolution to use for LODs. I don’t see the way to set it per-LOD manually.

This is the resolution of the UV layout that ue4 will generate from source index to destination index. It’s the packing resolution of the new UV layout that can be later used for lightmapping. It does not, however, tell the engine to use this specific number as the lightmap resolution.

I could well be talking rubbish, but I mean this ( here, for instance on LOD3 ):

Ok, sorry, my bad… :-/

It’s ok, I appreciate trying to help :stuck_out_tongue:

This issue is getting EXTREMELY annoying.

If LODs are generated inside UE4, then all the LOD lightmaps have similar texel density. But when I import my own, the engine just applies whatever density it wants to each LOD.

Here’s an example. This is a window with custom lightmaps. LOD0 on a screenshot below:

LOD1 was custom-made and imported as well. And here’s what Unreal does after light baking:

Lightmap resolution for such distance is EXTREMELY LOW. And I have not found a way to set it manually still. LOD pop-ins after light bake are VERY VERY noticeable.

Well,I have the same problem,have you solved it finally?

This problem seems to be in the engine for years.
I’m spending days trying to find a way to make lods for a interior scenario have some barely decent lightmaps, but it is impossible. The option min lightmap resolution of the LODs seems to have no effect at all…

Searching for solutions on google you can find a lot of developers asking for help for this same problem for years… If this wasnt fixed until now. I doubt that UE devs will take a look at it, now that the focus is all about dynamic light, with lumen and nanite…

VR developers, or games that depends on baked light don’t see to be the focus of Epic.