Local Multiplayer Custom Render depth

I searched but found nothing similar.

I am running a custom render depth post process material.

For some reason it only works for the other player controllers’ screens other than player 0.

Any particular reason why this is happening?

I am not sure why this is happening.

Here is a screen shot of what is happening.

When Player 0 interacts with the door, i set the render depth via a custom event, but it doesn’t show in that players screen, only in the player 1/2/3 screens. Not for player 0 in any scenario.

Why is custom depth render not being rendered for player 0 but only for other players?

This is on local multiplayer.

Grazie!

Thanks for responding, can you elaborate a bit more. No i am not trying to give the same object different render depth indexes. all the objects will have teh same render depth index. I just want to show the outline on a per player/screen basis.

“So if you just need to toggle it on / off for certain players it should work.”

This part. how do i make it work?

All the players are using the same “base” character and “thirdpersoncontroller” in BP, so i am not sure where the setting for just Player0 would be…

I just want the stencil to be visible for player 0 when player 0 interacts, and just show for player 1 when player 1 interacts. i dont want ghost stencils appear when the player doesn’t interact…

Thanks!

I need to wrap my head around that. let me reread that a few times LOL i think i get it. but i have to sort it out in my head lol

So basically when i want to show the custom depth i swap the PP settings which utilizes the outline material asset. and when done, switch back to the pp setting without using the custom depth setting?

Now my question is, what will stop the other players from seeing the outlined items, if it just so happens that they are both activating the same pp setting at the same time?

it still doesn’t help figure out why right now the player 0 character still cant see the PP effect of the outline whilst using the same PP setting as Player 1 but player 1 sees it…

i might be dense… maybe my lack of sleep is kicking in HA

Gotcha. I also just did a quick test, i set up 3 players, and now the player 0 and player 1 DONT see the PP effect, but player 2 does… hmmm. yea i need the aha moment. sadly not much is out there for custom depth and multiplayer… Thanks for your time and help!!

Well its not 1992 so I guess no one plays games without internet any longer haha

I just tried it in a split-screen environment and it seems to work fine.

Scenario 1 (outline around objects):
It’s set as a post-process material on the player camera, activating it based on overlap with an object, visible on both player cameras.

Scenario 2 (black outline around everything):
It’s set as a post-process material in the post process volume that’s in the level, visible on both again.

Yea that “working fine” is the problem. I DONT want it to show on both players at the same time… I Already have the custom depth rendering correctly. except its happening globally. and also NOT showing in the player 0…

That’s kinda where I am going with this one LOL

Right, I apparently misunderstood then. That too can be done…

Testing solution (I am aware that it can be refined to work without event tick, but ok):
-on the character, get the camera, create a new bool, call a node called Post Process Blend Weight and connect a select node into it and put it on tick (for now)
-meanwhile on the object that has the outline, where it gets enabled also enable the bool

It’s technically still there, but has 0.0 value unless the overlap changes it to 1.0 for that specific character and the camera component that is uses. This also affects other things in the camera post process (but not the one that’s in the level)
Alternative would be to make it distance based in the material itself. But yeah ideal would be to enable it just for the one player. In any case, those suggestions were on top of my head, time for coffee.

See thats the thing that is confusing me.

I am already am doing it that way. I am even changing the PP effect blend weight on the character, but it only shows on the LAST created player. UE4 Source bug? maybe. Ill post a video showing what i am doing in a sec

https://www…com/watch?v=kEZR…ature=youtu.be

I was pondering if its a replication issue, but cant be, since it is only happening on the LAST created player from the spawn loop… if it was a replication issue they ALL would be seeing it…

I think you might be onto something, when I tested it on 4.25, it only renders on the character that overlaps with it (see screenshots). But on 4.26 it does not work.

its a real head scratcher right!

From 4.26 changelog:

• New: Ported custom depth/stencil rendering to RDG.

I suspect it has something to do with it, but haven’t looked into it more detailed, but yes the node should work as it did before.
Btw check out the Content Example project for 4.26, chances are it has a new example included.

Hmmm. Ill see if i could find it

I think i found a simpler workaround without using post process effects.

I am duplicating the static mesh in the actor giving it a material with an outline, and making visible on overlap using vertex normals in material.

except now everyone sees the other mesh appear =( how do I NOT show an actor to all?

may i have to set owner right?

It worked!!! I set the owner to the current player, and then set the owner only see and BOOM! GOT IT!!!

THANKS GUYS!!!

For global outlines items i will still use PP but this is wayyyyy easier to control!

If anyone is interested I can make a vid. Thanks!

OH WAIT. I still cant see the PP effect on player 0 womp womp HAHA

Looks like i am going all static meshes with materials… …