List Entry Event "Event On List Item Object Set" crashes engine when debugging in Blueprint

Tried submitting this to Unreal Engine Community multiple times using two different browsers but the form seems to be broken.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Create a widget and add a list to it (I am using tileview)
  2. Create an entry widget and select it in the tile view in Designer under “List Entries > Entry Widget Class”
  3. Create a list storage object (any UObject) which can be constructed and added to the list using the “Add Item” node with target of List View.
  4. Create an arbitrary object to be “stored” within the list storage object (any UObject). Add a variable to the list storage object which will store a reference to the object just created so we can “store” the arbitrary object within the storage object.
  5. Create an object reference variable inside the entry widget that can be used to store a reference to the instance of the list storage object upon creation of the entry widget
  6. Create a trigger for chain of events that:
    a. causes a reference to an instance of the arbitrary object to be added to an instance of a list storage object
    b. the instance of the list storage object to be added to the tile view (which in turn will invoke the “On List Item Object Set” event)
  7. Create a break point within the “On List Item Object Set” graph at any point e.g. on the event itself or some event down the chain, such as on setting the reference to a list storage object to the one added to the tile view upon the aforementioned chain of events triggering
  8. Hit “play” in the editor and trigger the chain of events, ensuring the breakpoint triggers correctly on “On List Item Object Set”
  9. Hit “Resume” at any point in the graph or step through the graph until it completes and returns

Result:

Editor will crash.

Expected behaviour:

Editor shouldn’t crash, should be able to cleanly step through BP nodes and resume normal execution if desired.

Other info

Had this issue confirmed by another member of the Unreal Slackers Discord channel.

Have a feeling there may be other issues with this event, since I am chasing a bug, potentially associated with this event wherein a reference to the entry widget gets lost/is never set under certain circumstances, but not under others.

Affects:

4.24 (as far as I know, may go back further)

Platform:

Windows

Crash Log:

Log

1 Like

How you resolved this problem? You can say please. I have now the same problem.

1 Like

Any idea on how this was resolved? I’m encountering the same issues