Linux make command crashes computer - where are logs?

I’m trying to figure out why the “make” command is crashing my computer, but I can’t find any logs to pinpoint it. I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 8GB of RAM, 8 cores, and 45GB HD space free, which while mimimal, should be enough to compile it. But maybe not?

Is there any logging of the make process I can see where/why it’s crashing? Like it just completely shuts down my computer with no pause, so I do suspect it may be running out of memory.

You would have to watch whats going on in the terminal to see where it’s locking up. It may be an issue with gpu drivers also. I built on Debian a while back, and had issues, but it wasnt crashing. You should have at least 4gb vram gpu if im not mistaken, and be sure to update your graphics drivers, I would follow this as user got Ue4 into Ubuntu 16.04. With these dependencies.
http://www.kembadesign.com/tutorials/2017/6/10/how-to-build-and-install-unreal-engine-416-on-ubuntu-1604-or-elementary-os-041
If that doesnt work. You should see what version of clang your using, or declare using like this user did. Though this is outdated as I believe clang is in vs 4.? now. Linux - Specify clang version? - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums