Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting

Yes I meant to credit () but forgot to. Will edit the p4 description. Thanks to for tracking down that bug!

Sad, i hoped better Embree performance boost.

Could you confirm that there is no other workaround for the dark corners than the chamfering of the corners (which is bad for production)? The baselightmass.ini changes suggested by make some shadows very dark/high-contrast between objects that are close to each other (not overlapping). Are the baselightmass.ini variables you suggested the only one that cause the dark corners?

I am asking because if there are just some other values in baselightmass.ini that contributes to the dark corners could you tell to us which of those or some other workarounds, so we can test and eventually get the real solution to the problem before 4.19.

hai rafareis,how u get contact shadow beetween chair and floor?

Hi everyone,
I got weird lighting with a room and don’t know how to get rid of it. I tried to place static light or movable light but i still have them. Did anyone encounter this kind of lighting?
I’m on 4.18.1 and upload my settings. My scene is lit with a skylight and hdri.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best regards,

Thank you! Very good information!

Set low values for “Static Lighting Level Scale”

hello friends, it’s the first time I try multi-bounced sky lighting use the method since with the other I could not, suggestions welcome thanks

This is my test of the two methods , I do not know why on ue4.18 there is a black shadow on the ceiling, that’s why I need to disable bUseFilteredCubemapForSkylight = false, so it looks much better

are you sure of #307 ?

I’m getting dark and light edges where geometry meets up, mostly in corners of walls and where walls meet the floor and ceiling. The geometry is single sided and is not overlapping.

Also in areas where objects meet I get really blocky overly dark shadows, for instance where a door meets the floor. The floor has other areas where the shadows are lighter with a lot of gradients so I know the lightmap is high enough, but in this area, I get really dark blocky shadows.

This is happening all over my project and I can’t figure out why. I have upped the res, upped the quality, cut my uv’s made my uv’s continuous, etc…

Is it possible to get a better quality than this or is this a limitation of lightmass?

Lightmass settings:

scale .1 bounce 10 sky bounce 10 quality 10 smooth 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

…still the “shadow blocks” under the door seam the same size as your lightmap texel…

by “lower Global Brightness” what setting you mean exactly?

No, you can see the nice gradients on the other side of the door. The squares in the lightmap density don’t represent the Texel’s 1 to 1.

These are the results I’m getting with those settings. Any idea what causes the thick black blocky shadows?

Hi!

I’d say badly layed uv lightmap… or just low res…
I wouldn’t use those settings!! First they seamed ok getting rid of the dark corners between walls but they screw up your shadows!! /see attachments!/
Lately with nicely snapped uv maps I don’t get those dark corners anymore (with unchanged baselightmass.ini!)… /not in these renders!! here my walls were just boxes and were face snapped/

I still think it’s your lightmap resolution…
Did some test baking… I can get those blocky shadows only from intersecting/touching faces though or low res lightmap… but as you see even with a 128 res lightmap you can get nice gardient shadows and still… but having a higher resolution lightmap solves all the problem…

Walls are modular, long ones are from 2 pieces… boxes are lifted away from the surface by + 2 mm (first ones to the right are intersecting by 2 mm)… lit by a single HDRI… No PostProcess just exposure…

you are absolutly right for me

It doesn’t really solve the problem if the problem is still there.

My door isn’t intersecting or sitting right on top of the floor, it is floating and still, I get the blocky artifacts. If it were due to low res lightmaps then there wouldn’t be enough pixels to get the gradients right next to the blocky shadow artifacts. I up’ed the res and the results get smaller but they don’t go away.

I do see in your example (and I’m very grateful for it!) that the issue does get smaller with higher resolutions but its nearly impossible to get rid of the extremely black blocky shadow artifacts. Also, there are still black lines in the corners.

When you are naming the image are you saying your walls lightmap res is 128, 256, etc? I’ve got mine up to 1024 and it still won’t go away completely.

This is just really frustrating and I appreciate your help.

So your floor is a separate mesh and has a 1024 res lightmap?
Yes, those are the lightmap resolutions of a single wall piece…

Hi all, maybe off top a bit but I think you know this better than others.

How does Unreal calculate lightmaps regarding smooth groups? I mean for example table it is a perfect parallelogram but I will make it with one smooth group and the normal maps will compensate the form and it will appear in unreal rectangular though it smooth.

So the question is are smooth groups important for baking lightmaps?