Lighting in 5.5 is different from version 5.3 (too contrasting shadows)

I noticed that the same map with similar lighting looks different on version 5.5. Namely, the shadows, they are too dark, too contrasting. I migrated the same map to version 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5. On versions 5.4 and 5.3 it looks similar, but on version 5.5… I am attaching skinshots. First Scrinshot From version 5.3, the second one from 5.5:

Could it be due to “Local Exposure Shadow Contrast” in the project settings? (set too high)

Other than that another option might be due to Material Ambient Occlusion.

It gives more granular details in the AO pass.

What settings do you have for GI?

As @3dRaven said, in 5.5 epic changed the default value of local exposure to 0.8 instead of 1.0 so probably it could be this

No, that’s not it. I forgot to mention that I also imported all the render settings into the project, I double-checked, the values ​​are identical. If I lower this parameter, the shadows become lighter, but not warmer, they just turn bluer. This surprised me, everything except the engine version should be identical! Thats result if parametr set to 0.5:

Perhaps it’s just a bug in 5.5? It is still only a preview version. Does the direct light acting as the sun have the exact same parameters? Is the scene using any type of color grading via post processing?

Apparently this is really a bug. Like I said, I just migrated the scene into the engine and didn’t change anything in it. The main parameters are identical, and they should not have changed. Yes, there is a post process in the scene. The only thing that is different is that in 5.3 I have DLSS installed and activated, but can this really affect the world? I mean, everything looks like this even in the viewport, if nothing is rendered, and there was no 5.4 DLSS either, but there the scene looks exactly like in 5.3.

To me it looks like the skylight or GI is acting differently, I’d flip through the debug views, try deleting and undoing the lights, and playing with the intensity.

1 Like