Lighting error in Unreal Engine 5.3

Hello everyone, I’m new to unreal and I can’t fix my lighting, I’ve tried different ways on YouTube and forums and I haven’t found a solution. If any developer can help me I would be very grateful. My shadows are strange when I place rocks, or any other assets in the shadows they turn black. The sky is also black (see image). I’ve already done a lot of things in my project and just now I came across this problem that is stopping me from continuing. I really need to use moving lights because of the trees, so on the map I’m working on I need moving lights. Thank you to anyone who can help me.

May not help, but are you sure you have this selected?

Make sure this is on: Lit

If you do have it on Lit, are all of these in your level?

If you do have them, try to re create them by deleting them and going to:

Then select all: Create sky light, Create atmospheric light, etc.

If all is well, then I am not too sure what the issue could be.
And just to make sure, you are trying to use Lumen in its entirety, correct?
No settings have been changed regarding lumen, shadows or rendering?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve tried deleting the lights and trying to create them, but the problem still persists. The lumen has not changed. Thank you for your help, I will continue trying to solve it, I believe it will help new developers too when they encounter this error.

Sorry that it didn’t help. Does creating a new blank level and adding lights change anything? Also, not sure if you have said it before, but just to make sure, does this occur in a new project? (Blank and Templates)

This is a 5.3 project with standard lumen. I’m not sure if this has to do with the megascan, but it happens during projects, this is the second time it’s happened and I don’t know how to solve it.

Hmm. Try messing around with Precompute Static Lighting in the world settings. Maybe this will help? I have seen similar problems from other people on UE4 but they are using built lighting. They fixed it with that setting. Maybe there has been some kind of glitch with it?

1 Like

I noticed that there are some megascans assets that when I put them in the shadow they have this problem. I may have to make some adjustments to these assets, but I still don’t know how to resolve it. If I can’t, I’ll have to remove all my work and use another asset in its place. And I will lose all my hard work. Thank you for your help.

I found the solution on the forum, in another post.

ometimes these materials when imported from quixel or market place they are set to “Fuzz” or some otherthing when they should be set to “m_ms_default” which is what is giving off these pitchblack shadows. Change the material to foliage or default material when you go into editing the mesh. Even in the material Property overide section you can change it from “cloth” to something else and it will help. This will get rid of these black void shadows.

Great news! Happy I could be of some assistance!