Lighting discrepancies when combining static and movable meshes

Hi all again!

Special thanks to all of you, it worked fine changing those settings. Here´s the result:

I checked the “light as static” and “shadow only indirect” options, and also changed the indirect lighting mode to “Volume” instead of point. Thanks again to all!

Cheers!

Cool stuff, @braisbr1

Just to point out.
''Light as Static" and “indirect light cache Volume” are mutually exclusive.

So to be clear, if I´m checking those, and the result looks correct, is it because of the “light as static” setting, since the others are mutually exclusive? Are they overriding each other, or do they still contribute in any way to the overall appearance of the scene?

“indirect light cache Volume” is not needed because object now use Lightmaps instead of light cache samples.

Great, thanks for the info. I thought that by using the “light as static” option in a movable object, it would render a lightmap for that object as a reference and try to fake the appearance by taking into account the look of that lightmap. It didn´t occur to me that it would set it to use lightmaps all the way, thanks for the clarification :wink:

Make sure you are using a light mass importance volume and maybe try using the character indirect lighting volume as well, I can’t remember it’s exact name at the moment but it increases the indirect lighting cache density.

Hi,
i know this thread is old but i came across the same problem (movable actors under static lighting being brighter than static actors) just recently (UE 4.24. and 4.25) so i’d like to know how to solve the problem in newer UE versions. I couldn’t find the option ''Light as Static" and i guess it has been removed at some point or repaced by some other option? So if anyone has a tip on how to get consistent lighting for static and movable actors under static lighting in newer UE versions i’d really appreciate it.
Cheers

For anyone still looking for the answer, head over here:

1 Like