Lighting Built Data from Sublebels cannot be saved, error

Hello All,

Set-up un UE 4.14.3 is:

• Persistent

• Sublevel 1 “Untitled_1”

When I build the lighting with Sublevel “Untitled_1” active and the persistent level hidden the build runs through ok, but I can not save the built data.

Further Information:

• creating a new Sublevel creates a new Level in the “Maps” folder in the Content Browser, named as entered by me in the dialogue (all good so far). But the Sublevel that appears in the Levels Editor is named “Untitled_1”. Also, it creates levels called “untitled…” in a TEMP-folder (seen in the folder tree). In this TEMP-folder the lighting built data file also appears. Every time I try to save the Sublevel (and hence it’s built data) I get the error message:

*The asset ‘/Temp/Untitled_1_BuiltData’ () failed to save. *

*Cancel: Stop saving all assets and return to the editor. *

*Retry: Attempt to save the asset again. *

Continue: Skip saving this asset only.

• When I then close UE, I am asked what to do with the unsaved assets (i.e. the lighting built data) in the Temp folder and when I try “save all” I gat the same error message as above.

• When I then re-open the project and load the map with those Sublevels I am told that UE…
    “Failed to load /Temp/Untitled_1_BuiltData.Untitled_1_BuiltData Referenced by the PersistentLevel”

Very much looking forward to your expert advice

Just a sanity check…is your disk full?

No, lots of space left. 131GB on C: and 1.48TB on the drive the project lives on.

Does anyone maybe have some similar problems or point me into the right direction for further research?

Have not been able to find a solution in the forums, answerhub or elsewhere…

Alternatively, is there another way of splitting up a complex scene with LOTS of static lights meshes for the light build but then have it all in the game at runtime?

Update: appears to have been a ‘local anomaly’. I have since been able to set up levels with sub-levels successfully without the above described problem.

I guess i’ll just carry on and come back here if required.

Cheers

I found a way to get around the issue:
Copypaste everything from the broken map to a new map and redo the level blueprint (if you had anything special in there). Should work!

Thank you for sharing, I’ll try that at the next opportunity.

I had the problem that it couldn’t save the builtdata, I’ve just dragged the builtData file out of my project folder and then started up the unreal engine. Then I built lighting and saved everything. It automatically created a new builtData file and everything was fine again.

Thanks for the help. I had the problem that it couldn’t save the builtdata after lights build but I just removed the builtData file from the explorer and created a new when save the project and it works!! So many thanks 2 years later.

I’m getting same error. Remove BuildData and rebuild didn’t solve.