Light baking squared artefacts

Hi guys,

in my scene I get those weird squared artefacts that are tinted in a slightly green colour (the green comes from the grass/foliage outside of the building). The artefacts are more prevalent on walls that are closer to the foliage outside of the house (in the example pictures you can clearly see how some walls with a distance to the outside foliage are less affected then walls that are closer to the foliage).

Everything else in the scene does not have those artefacts which narrows the problem down to the mesh. The building consists of multiple big meshes. So walls and ceiling is one mesh. Some other walls are a sperate mesh and so on. I use lightmass portals on windows and I also tried removing the windows and just bake without them. Still, the error persisted.

I am using UE5 and overall common light baking settings which should not be the cause of the problem because everything else in the scene is being baked correctly.

• The UVs are separated correctly and do not overlap
  • Lightmap resolution on those meshes is really high and it should not be the problem
  • I removed also materials (like glass for example) that have some sort of refraction because I read somewhere that refractured materials could influence how lighting is being bounced around (but don’t quote me on that)
  • I disabled virtual texture streaming from the materials that are applied on the meshes (read in the forums that vts could lead to weird behaviour especially when building the project and exporting it out). I did it with vts on and off and still nothing changed

Thanks in advance!

Solved:

I have foliage (grass and flowers) around my house and the problem occurs when you have not disabled the “Cast Shadow” option from the “FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent” on your foliage mesh/object. So wherever you paint your foliage on, go to each individual “FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent” and disable “Cast Shadow” option in the Lightmass Settings panel.