Lego Maps with Lego Logos (copyright)

Hi everyone,

since it is official that Fortnite and Lego collab, many people started to hop on the hype train.
The only cerncain that i have is that they using the official Lego logo or a verry simmular logo to attracte more people and make it look like it is a official Lego map.

But i think we all know Lego is a huge company with copyright and patents everywhere.

So it is no suprise that on the official lego site is a clearfication like this:

Using the LEGO® trademark and products for commercial purposes
We can’t allow the use of LEGO copyright materials such as brand names, logos and trademarks like the 2x4 brick or the LEGO minifigure for commercial purposes such as promotional campaigns, marketing and PR. This also applies to items such as building instructions and parts. For more details, see our Fair Play policy.

https://www.lego.com/ms-my/service/help/fun-for-fans/behind-the-scenes/our-company/commercial-use-of-lego-products-bltb4ad5090ec5e4b08

So my Question is why does Epic / Fortnite allow those maps?

The status of UCB-1117 incident has been moved from ‘Awaiting Validation’ to ‘Closed’.

Hi

We take down any infringing content that is reported to us by the copyright owner.

1 Like

So are you saying as long as the copyright owner doesnt complain, you can use copyrighted material? Because I dont think that’s true…

Also Ive had maps fail approval just because of a simple picture that is of a real world product. “keep it on the Island” is what you guys like to say right?

So an actual legitimate answer would be nice… Why is it that people get rejected every day for trying to use copyrighted/trademarked content, yet some of these maps get approved that are clearly violating TOS and literally breaking laws by using this content.

Some of the maps, like the one OP is talking about has tens of thousands of players constantly. its been all over twitter and reddit and every other social media outlet. Everyone knows about it including Epic Games employees. It is VERY clearly using copyrighted/trademarked material illegally without consent from LEGO. Yet you refuse to take it down because LEGO hasnt told you to yet? Come on

Why do some people get special treatment, using content illegally, clearly violating the creator TOS, and get paid thousands of dollars for it monthly? How do you guys allow it (and dont say you didnt know)

2 Likes

Sorry, but Epic really needs to step in and resolve these IP (Intellectual Property) issues by taking down the offending content.
As the platform’s operator, it’s your responsibility to manage such situations.
Ignoring the problem cannot be in anyone’s interest.

I want to emphasize that it’s unacceptable to allow violations of intellectual property rights on a platform owned by Epic Games, expecting the rights holders to act before Epic does anything.
This approach could adversely affect all creators in the Fortnite Island Creator Program.

1 Like

For real. These people are even going as far as using the LEGO® logo with the ® symbol and everything. They are preying on unsuspecting people who this it’s an official LEGO map. The fact that Epic let’s this stuff go on is insane.

I tried to put an energy drink can in one of maps and got rejected but ripping off a whole company is apparently ok. :rofl:

1 Like

Of course not. That’s a disingenuous interpretation of what I said. The rules are clear on this and we take them seriously.

I appreciate you responding to a sensitive topic like this, often these types of queries seem to go uncommented on by Epic.

As many others here, I have been putting lots of hours into a map/island (unpublished as of now) and am diligent in not using anyone else’s IP.

But the blatant use of clearly unauthorized IP in published (and sometimes popular) maps/islands is a disincentive for me as a creator, and I’m sure for many others as well.

I think it would help all involved if Epic would make a decision on it’s approach, state it clearly, and stick to it.

I see many creators complain of maps/islands being rejected due to a small use of another’s IP (sometimes unintentional, or even no actual IP was infringed) - but as the other posters here have said, there are many instances with blatant misuse of others IP.

At least be consistent, Epic, so we know what environment we’re working in.

How can the ‘law abiding’ creators compete with the ‘non-law abiding’ ones if no one is consistently enforcing the rules unless an IP owner raises it as an issue.

It’s understandably frustrating, and concerning, for creators, don’t you think?

2 Likes

I asked Lego how they gonna Handle those Situations.

Hard to believe when your Creating In Lego livestream literally shows copywritten content.

It’s in the bottom right-hand corner of the website during the Lazer Tag Gun Game part of the video. Proof Discover isn’t moderated Facepalm

And another thing making it hard to believe is IP is all over Discover and it’s not being taken care of. If you and Epic actually took the rules seriously, we wouldn’t have Peppa Pig 1v1 and Shrek Box PVP maps.
Actually search it, they do exist Look bruh

EDIT - The copywritten games were taken down since the livestream ended.