Leave a "Tron Lightcycle" Trail?

New to UE, so I’d love it if someone could point me in the right direction: I’m trying to do a social distancing visualization, and I have a bunch of spawned NPCs moving around randomly. I’d love to be able to show the path any given instance has travelled with a line (like the lightcycles in Tron). All of my searches are leading me to ways to use spline paths to control characters, but I want the opposite. I want the character to generate a path as it moves according to its behavior, and I’d like the line to persist until it’s switched off. IDK if it’s possible, but it would be great if it generated actual geometry or an object that could be used elsewhere in the project, rather than just particles or some post effect. I’m sure there must be some UE terminology I don’t know that’s preventing me from finding the right answer… Is there a way to make something extrude a shape through space as it moves, or plot a 2d line on a plane like a pen? Thanks in advance!

yes it can be done using a particle emitter and ribbons . Intro to Cascade: Creating an AnimTrail Emitter | 09 | v4.2 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube

I’d like to be able to use the recorded path data for other functions, like analysis after the play stops, so I’m going to try implementing a solution like this:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/blueprint-visual-scripting/1594403-how-can-i-draw-a-spline-drawn-by-the-player-s-movements

I’ll let you know how it goes…