learning how to use Augmented Reality

Hi,

I am new to Augmented Reality in Unreal, got few questions…

~ If I use PC, is that only can do Android apps, or I need a Mac to do the IOS apps? Because some people say that you can use Unreal running on PC to do both, I just wonder to make clear of this.

~ and found this on the web…
shorturl.at/fmEO2
It talks about “How to deliver AR on the web only with a QR Code”, it say you no need install any AR apps on mobile device, instead scanning the “pattern QRcode” and stream the web application as a AR apps and open the 3D object on the mobile…

1. just wonder to know the “know how” of this?
  2. if I using Unreal to make a normal AR apps, any possibility that can use this new tech togather?

Thank you in advance and any input is higher welcome. And sorry for my bad English…

Cheers,

Douglas

Start reading here: Handheld Augmented Reality | Unreal Engine Documentation

Then also read about ARCore (this is for Android): Build new augmented reality experiences that seamlessly blend the digital and physical worlds
and about ARKit (this is for iOS): Apple Developer Documentation
You need a Mac for iOS.

If you are a beginner it might be a good idea to buy a book or search tutorials on Youtube and Udemy.

The example at shorturl.at/fmEO2 is called “Web AR”. Search Web AR Plugin for Unreal Engine.
Maybe there is none. Then you could make it yourself, but only if you know how to program C++ and learn a lot about Unreal Engine, not easy for beginners.

Don’t give up too fast, it is a lot to learn and it takes time, that is normal. Good luck

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help, I will take a look.

BTW, I have download some of the templates from the web, and have put some item onto it, when I do the tracking it does work to display the item for me, but it seems like render as default material and no lighting also (even I put 2 point light into the scene), is that I need to use some of the setting about the “AR project” or there may be some of the material, lighting, post process that I need to shut them off??

Thanks.

Hi,

• Make sure you BUILD your project (botton top toolbar).
  • In project settings, under rendering, enable MobileHDR because of this bug: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-90099)
  • You downloaded a project from “somewhere”, well ask them about that. We don’t use that project so we cannot know what it does. Try instead the default HandheldAR template from UE4 and examine what is different.

Good luck

Hi thank you very much for your reply, I will try it