Launcher so slow and heavy? light edition launcher needed

Hello Epic, please provide pure expert only launcher that includes no sluggis browser and acts only as Unreal and Game manager and do not contain any 32bit libraries as most use 64bit anyway. Currently launcher has become so slow and heavy even on ssd drives and weights almost gigabyte. Opens very slow every time. I do most market stuff from normal web browser and would prefer EPIC be the first who provides lite version of launcher in industry. Do not force to download prequesites automatically, why the hec* it downloads origin store files even i have no Origin games here, if i had i would download myself. Currently overlay function doubles launcher size.

Please Epic, provide light version of expert launcher.

Great timingā€¦ Iā€™m having this problem as well. The launcher has become so sluggish that it is almost unusable now which has mostly halted progress for months. I have a Dual Xeon system with over 64 cores, 128GB RAM and a Nvidia Titan GPUā€¦ The engine itself runs fine, but the launcher has become a nightmare.

After Looking for help on AnswerHub, I learned Launcher support is not provided there, I was directed to ā€œEpic Games Player Supportā€. After jumping through their hoops, I was directed back to Unreal Engine support because they couldnā€™t help. In the past the launcher worked fine, Iā€™m not sure when exactly it became a slideshow, but I think it was after I bought a bunch of items on the Marketplace.

2 Likes

I think first start would be remove all browser related functions as javascripts and web content is slow and even distracting. If i buy something then i do it from browser, only game/engine/assets managment functions should remain like download, launch, install, manageā€¦then remove/separate 32bit and 64bitā€¦These are wishful thoughts how ā€œPro Lite Editionā€ of launcher should look.

I canā€™t disagree, I would rather have a separate launcher for Unreal Engine and assets that performs well than a bloated launcher with everything. I donā€™t need a launcher with ā€œachievementsā€ā€¦

Actually I just updated the Launcher this morning and it is now the home screen and ā€œgame storeā€ section is almost completely broken(attached a screenshot). I can only navigate to the Unreal Engine section by right clicking the tray icon which still functions but performance remains a slideshow, can barely scroll through assets from the marketplace.

Home Screen:

Thought it was my end, getting slow ,need upgrade, but glad not so. +1

I think it would be first in industry if Epic could provide Lite launcher, even steam has gone grazy and instead moving away from javascripts they become bloated too with web based slow bloat. I personally would not mind if EGL still has games+Unreal all in one with option to switch off game management if not gaming(like now it is) but move away from web content and use barebone fast UI for Lite Professional. No forced prerequisites downloads and so on.

Those are my wishes for Epic **but **listen everyone else too and make some decision and release a Pro Lite EGL or something similar.

I found this thread while searching for the same issue. The launcher UI navigation is very sluggish. Scrolling the Unreal Engine home page is very slow and navigating the Marketplace is painfully slow too. I have the same experience in all my computers all with high specs. The engine works fine but something needs to be done to the Launcher renderer. It refreshes at something like 12 FPS or less.

1 Like

The problem is that the launcher is build with Unreal Engine itself. Yeah no kidding, makes no sense but thatā€™s how it is.

Me and many others have complained for YEARS that the launcher is outdated, sluggish and terribly designed (not user friendly at all). Epic has ignored us ever since and only further bloated the launcher.

Why they donā€™t hire a professional web-dev team to build a modern, lightweight launcher? No idea ā€¦ they certainly have the money to do it.

I think that is that because of the free assets/pluggins/etc the launcher has to load everything at once, it should have dynamic loading of the things form the marketplace, i have so many now that my launcher is stupid slowā€¦ :\

1 Like

hey I second this. my pc is pretty nice & fast but when I run the epic launcher its very sluggish like its consuming a huge amount of resources or something. they definitely need to redo the launcher imo.

For me it became more responsive after removing a few UE versions. So basically it looks like, launcher gets slowed down by the thing it is made to launch.

So can confirm.

Came across this discovery by accident. I have all of my engines installed on a second drive which had trouble mounting one boot. As a result of this the EPIC Games launcher was back to a speed as though I had no engines installed. This particular machine is my asset store management machine which has many versions of the engine installed to inspect assets from the store, etc. So the speed difference is notable as I have around 10 versions installed on here itā€™s nearly unusable as a result. Seems the launcher must continuously query the installations. I should also note that it is NOT related to store content, I have easily 1000+ entries in my library. Speed was fine the moment the launcher couldnā€™t find the installations and stopped querying for them.

Epic needs to take this seriously: there have been many times where Iā€™ve thought ā€œIā€™d like to work on a UE4 projectā€ and then I remember the absurd launcher performance and decide against it.

Anyone have heard news about light modern Launcher at all?

Yeah we definitely need a lightweight launcher. The current one is so bloated, slow and badly designedā€¦ I mean, who thought it was a great idea to build a Games WebStore Launcher in Unreal Engine 4 ???

Epic should do the right thing and hire a team of professional web developers, to build a proper launcher. We all know they have enough money to do so, and the bad Launcher is a main reason most people wonā€™t buy games over the Epic Launcher.

And at best seperate the games shop from the Unreal Engine Launcher, there is really no need to have these two connected.

I have to agreeā€¦ The launcher is presently a pain in the a$$. I donā€™t like that it has to run in the background after a project is started. I have monitored it running in the background and definitely see that it is doing itā€™s own monitoring itself. It uses a portion of my CPU, my disk use, my memory and my internet connection. My system is top tier, but I would like to be able to work on my project knowing that I at least have some privacyā€¦who knows what it is monitoring.

Also, I notice the launcher actually scrolls by itself for the first 30+ seconds while finishing itā€™s start up. Very annoying, as it looks like someone has hijacked my account every time I use the launcher. I now go to task manager and stop the process for the launcher, gaining back a percentage of processing, memory, disk use in the process.

Epic, please address the complaints!!! A lot of use have paid a lot of money for the hundreds or even thousands of market place assets, only to be frustrated by a very outdated interface!!! Both stand alone launcher and provided web interface.

The Web browser version for the market place has also changed in a way that is annoying. They use to have the ā€˜display amount of items per pageā€™ at the top of the screen as wellā€¦but now itā€™s only at the bottom, making you scroll through stuff to change the amount to display per page. What are they thinking??? Arenā€™t you suppose to be making it easier to use??

Actually i would not mind if games launcher is all in one but always with option to disable like now. Biggest issue is that launcher structure itself that makes it so painfully slow and fatā€¦ Launcher size even should be max 40-60 MB MAX. I would and will use casual browser for game purchases if needed.

Yup, sttill slow. Today I booted up my PC, started Epic, and went to make a coffee and it was still loading when I came back

I confirm. Their launcher is so slow that I sometimes think if is even worth launching it just for one game. I have all software and games on SSD 970Evo and when launching it I feel like it is booting from 5200rpm HDD

Yeah Itā€™s still slow and sluggish.
Iā€™m on a Ryzen 3950X, 64 GB ram and an RTX 3090.
This should not be happening. Iā€™m assuming Epic doesnā€™t use the launcher inhouse because if they did they wouldā€™ve noticed this issue and done something about it.