Launcher so slow and heavy? light edition launcher needed

removing games and assets speeds up the launcher.
i removed all my games except 2 which i will remove when i’ve completed them.
sooo much quicker.

stupid really. i’m personally not gonna download anymore games, even if they’re free.
i’ll stick with steam for games.
the more assets you have downloaded on your pc, the slower everything becomes.

epic are too busy suing everyone, than try to improve the launcher for it’s users.
you can’t even sort your vault, or hide old assets. can’t stop it auto-closing after you launch a project. soooo many faults. worst ever launcher.
worst thing of all epic won’t bother fixing things. it took them years, just to add search function.

I also agree, epic launcher need to be at the level of Steam our will not go well as it could, steam is more user friendly, quick and efficient. I do like epic a lot, and I hope they can see that they need a remake of their launcher. Steam know what they are doing well, so epic needs to fallow their steps and improve from there. Please Epic, act on this. Obs. This is not just me, all my friends agree as well. Some of my friends preferer even pay more for a game on steam then open or install epic launcher. Good luck on the change!

3 Likes

It is simply the worst launcher out of all available launchers in the market, mainly due to its performance issue… My last hope is that they will release a completely rewritten launcher along with UE5.

2 Likes

I really hope that they release fully rewritten slim launcher that can run ultra fast and efficient, i use external browser to purchase things but launcher should work minimally for only needed actions. Ability to run without installation would be beneficial too for people with external drives and or people who often reinstall OS or migrate drives. Please do not include stuff until people need it, currently Launcher always gets installers like Origin etc…

Powerful pc is not excuse to have a bloated launchers. Bloat software has become cancer of pc world like Nodejs and Electron horror apps.

Yes, I also find it a bit ironic that now, in 2022, having CPUs with dozens of cores, GPUs like RTX2080Ti and dozens of gigabytes of both CPU RAM and VRAM, a corporation behind a triple A high performance game engine can’t utilize all this modern hardware to rasterize couple hundred of 2D UI elements at larger than single digit frame rate :slight_smile: Something a PS1/PS2 hardware could already handle at 60+FPS over 20 years ago.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, even the current consoles can barely run their own shop interfaces, and that is software written directly for those machines. They are slow as hell and full of memory leaks, often bringing their machines to their knees, or outright crashing. The PS4 has however many cores and 8gb of ram, but you can’t scroll through 1 page of of the shop without everything going to hell.

For all the headaches the Epic Launcher brings, it offers very little in actual functionality. It doesn’t tell me how big a game is before installing. It doesn’t tell me if it installs DRM. It doesn’t remove uninstalled games from the quick launch list. It causes problems when trying to run my games while signed into epic developer account and not my games account.

That’s added to the fact that The Unreal Marketplace won’t accept many forms of payment, I end up having to buy from Steam anyways or GoG anyways.

You won’t let me pay for games.
You won’t tell me how big they are.
You won’t tell me if a game has DRM.
You give me fits for having a game account and a dev account.

I’ve never seen so much self sabotage in a single app. No amount of free games will make up for all the glaring faults and the horrible user experience.

1 Like

One sad aspect about GoG is that they rely same way on heavy web based bloat on their Galaxy launcher and try to reinstall OS or move drive… Galaxy launcher stops working at all. Dont get me wrong, i like GoG itself as if i want, i even can download directly without launcher if i want.

Little hint for EPIC would be get inspiration how Telegram IM app has made their system by only using efficient way to “ping” web calls what are only needed. In short: Buy games from web browser(Epic store) itself and manage games in pure fast EG Launcher. EPIC now it would be really good time to make revolution by making superfast, efficient and compact launcher.