Large Open-World Kid Kite Demo

i think that titan X 12go is relatively recent, probably with bad driver as Nvidia know making for every new card … Wait and see better optimized driver.

There is a huge difference between a tech demo and a game, and tech demo was going for quality at distance. Every rock and tree was 3d photoscanned to create both the meshes and the high res textures, which is something that has not really been used in any realtime game with dynamic lighting so far. Some other features that contribute to performance are:

• DFAO
  • Dynamic GI using Heightfields (coming in 4.8)
  • Ray-Traced Distance Field Soft Shadows (4.8)
  • the new 2 sided foliage shader (4.7)
  • A new kind of motion blur (4.8)
  • SSR for translucency (4.8)

And possibly even more we aren’t already aware of. The Dynamic GI alone is likely the single most performance hungry in the demo.

On top of all that demo was meant to push the hardware to the , meaning there are likely quite a few performance optimizations that could be used but weren’t since the frame rate was within their target FPS for the demo.

Until we get our hands on the project it will be difficult to know what was done and why, and how it can be improved. I personally have no doubt they will release the demo with performance optimizations. After all there is only one person with a Titan X so far, I highly doubt it will be required to use the demo. :wink:

Well he needs to change his badge to “Like A Boss” :smiley:

Please don’t downgrade the graphics, just to please people that don’t have a capable graphics card to run demo. Titan X is coming soon ,along with DX12/Vulkan and next year we’ll see 16nm cards.

I think no one would be pleased if they would downgrade the graphics. It goes without saying that they will “ship” the demo as it was showed on GDC. Your question implies that Epic could think about doing it, I think that’s an insult :wink:

Second.

Would love and find useful a playable level designed as being the video card killer test. I’m working on a game that might not see release for a few years but the numbers as to where the deep end “really” is would be extremely valuable for making design decisions.

Reason 1 why I’m excited to get my hands on the kite map but in need of something to the x- that can be played on.

Anyone else so excited for 4.8 to release? Of course 4.7 just released, but after having seen the kite demo, dang, I want it so bad. I’m guessing it will come sometime in May, as it’s going to be a huge update for sure.

Woooho!

I’m super excited to get all the features of 4.8 :p://31.media.tumblr/4b3a43925dfabb6d87b903bf42528674/tumblr_inline_mk3nyntgfv1qz4rgp.gif

The only thing I’m concerned about is when the Kite Demo is being made accesible for , that starts doing their games in that demo and then actually sell it. So we end up seeing all games being made in and around that Kite Demo. Or “ripping” the art of the kite demo for their projects. Kinda worries me there, but other than that, looking forward to see how it’s going to work.

Why should it worry you? A game is not just rocks and deer lol

You just described me opening up thread :slight_smile:

Those games wont sell very well, because players will realise that they all use the same assets (same style -> gets boring) :slight_smile:

When I saw the video:

://i44.tinypic/6h18c0.gif

(ok, now I will stop posting gifs ^^)

If people can make a game around the kite demo that’s great I think. I would not care seeing the kite environment in 10 games since gameplay is important, not the assets. But since it only runs smooth on a Titan X I don’t think it will be used for any game in the next years :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that Epic allowes people to use everything in all of the demos commercially is great and it allowed many people to use assets they normally would not have. Do you think the assets of Elemental or the Particle Cave or the Sun Temple were used too often in games? I never saw any of them in any game.

i disagree. i think demo is needed. the realistic demo taught us how to build interior and keep light leaking out.
Koola taught us how to acheive arch viz.
Reflection demo taught us about alpha .
Elemental demo taught us about good post process and Volumetric fog.

demo will teach us about the open world. and while at the start many will start putting out work in that demo.
But it will lead to more open world awareness.

Me personally, I plans set out for the infiltrator and kit demo.

For the kite demo i wanted to make a working 24 HR TOD with volumetric clouds (i believe the demo already has these clouds per trusky) and do sunset/sunrise timelapse videos, Make comparison scenes with GTA V fooliage and finally re-target the kid to be playable and kite flyable in the world,edit and use some of the cinematic animations.

I’m not sure the kid will be included. Judging from the video you’ll be navigating with a ‘drone’ camera.

Very strange if that’s the case. remember elemental, reflection and infiltrator also have movie reels which plays. It will be strange if they don’t also have the showcase movie reel bundled and a way to play it, separate from the drone/camera navigating. i mean… i think i speak for everything one when i say people want to watch the demo directly without the horrific you-tube compression.

Atleast have the kid included in the project files.

Personally I’m excited for the 4.8 and Documentation of Kit demo, maybe using some good materials of the demo & maybe some Great photorealistic foliage.
I hope UE4 4.8 will be not released in 4/5 mounth after , like 4.7 ?

I’m quite excited about the dynamic nav meshing and performance improvements to having lots of AIs running.

hasn’t been an for any of the other demo’s, and while the Kite Demo looks great, the other demo’s are more accessible in terms of creating an actual game. Regardless, I am excited for 4.8!

I’ve always dreamed of having the assets and engine tech needed to do a proper open world game, and you guys pulled it off it spades! Thanks at Epic :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to play with the demo. I have a zombie AI and about 500 zombies ready to spam into it.