Large Open-World Kid Kite Demo

So The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is about 4 miles or 6 kilometers on its side rounded up to the nearest whole number.

So if we multiply that by 10 we would get 40 miles or 64 Kilometers for the size of massive level.

Which is massive for a game engine not to mention that with DirectX 12 and Vulkan we will be able to do more with large worlds like . Things like more advanced Artificial intelligence, etc.

Now imagine an Real time strategy game on size of a map?

That would be !

• Cannot wait to get my hands on it and see how it ticks :slight_smile:

Ok , thank you ,

Very good new , i hope , it’s will come with a documention & little tutorial for the landscape.

Hmm the stream isn’t playing.

Go to 45/47 minutes

~ 16959,61$ :smiley:

• you can add the trip to scotland
  • Custom Rig gray Chrome (i don’t know prices)
  • & more

^ What’s that $17,000 worth of stuff supposed to be for?

probably yes , maybe more , i don’t know , for a studio it isn’t too much but for a indie dev …

For an indie dev or solo developer like me, I see no use in these things and I wouldn’t come remotely close to be able to afford . I’m only a teenager and haven’t gotten a part-time job yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Omg, that’s truly amazing. Thank you, ! :)))

I remember when someone was asking me earlier if really comes on to post. Oh yeah, that was really him :wink:

Thank you to raise doubts about if really comes on to post :wink:
It’s possible , sometime we see him take part in discussions on polycount.
Now , it’s strange that the big man talk about small detail like .

I am joking :rolleyes:

I heard demo ran on the new Titan X, at 30 fps…my poor GTX 680 would die running demo at 2560 X 1600(native resolution) :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously ? i don’t see anything about it , but I am really surprised that Unreal Engine work only at 30fps with Titan X 12go ? Unreal Engine is really optimized .
I don’t think that is true but i don’t know . If someone in the staff can confirmed it .

Hello, that is mostly correct. There is major note that must be made though: It was not pre-rendered, it was rendered in real-time. That is basically representative of what you could get with in-game graphics using UE4 and the Titan. I think of the Kite demo as a look into the near future of what graphics could be like in-game.

EDIT: are more technical details: /b/632598238 Skip to 45 mins in.

Wow , it’s impressive , Caracter animation is really impressive too , maybe you know how much keyframe of the caracter animation you needed ?

Thank you

What is taking so much time to render? Is it the massive amount of foliage or the DFGI? I think the kite demo looks good, but it’s nothing “special”. It’s not really “the future of graphics”. It’s what the Cryengine could do all the time, and it seems with much better fps… You probably can compare the kite demo with Crysis 1… Of course the demo looks a bit better since the textures are higher resolution and the foliage has more polys, but as a rough comparison crysis 1 works.

://gamona-images.de/298565/fbe4ca4e9e5fe642fba6fd4de807ea0d.jpg

://i.ytimg/vi/w6EMc6eu3c8/maxresdefault.jpg

For example kite demo has a really low grass render distance…

So really, what’s the bottleneck at the moment? You said you improved the performance with much foliage a lot, so probably isn’t the problem. But I also can’t imagine that one-bounce Distance Field GI is taking so much performance.

In my opinion the parts are :slight_smile:
-the size -> 256 km2**
-dynamic light and gi
-the high quality meshes (e.g the cliffs,…) -> complex shaders, high res textures,…
-AO
-soft shadows

Btw, make sure to check out some other videos like the UE4 trailer >(e.g the scene at 0:40) or the twich stream -> there you can really see how good it looks like (in my opinion crysis is nothing against demo -> but kingdom come deliverance would be a good example for an open world project made with the cryeninge, but there the grass render distance is also pretty low :p)

@, is there probably a way that we can get some high resolution screenshots? :wink:

Absolutely, I vote for Unreal Engine, look really better.

Of course Unreal Engine looks better than crysis 1 since crysis 1 is 8 years old. But for example as you see in the screenshot in crysis 1 you already had light going through leaves what UE4 can do since 1 month.
And in the kite demo you never really see more far than 3km so the Engine does not have to render more than ~3km x 3km = 9km² at once. I think 30fps on a Titan X or 20 fps on a GTX 780 is really way too bad optimized for the graphics we see. It should run with something like 60 fps on a GTX 780. All the trees in the distance have like 16 or 32 polys, you can only see grass in a radius of ~30m, there are almost no dynamic objects, no volumetric clouds (CryEngine can do since very long time), only limited GI, and so on.

Before the new foilage shading you did it with SSS which was available in the UE4 since the first days (even in UDK it was already implemented) :wink:
Take a look at some scenes from the twich stream -> there are views that are far over 3 km

But I would say that we can just discuss about demo when we have seen more videos/screenshots or when we have tested it in the engine :slight_smile: