Landscape Visibility material bug

Hi Oblivion2500,

Are you using the same material for both your hole material and your base landscape material? Additionally, how many textures are in your materials?

I have tried using the same material for the hole and base landscape material. I have also tried just making a separate masked material that has the landscape visibility node added and nothing else. My base landscape material only has 3 textures (512 x 512 tex resolution - diffuse, normal, and roughness).

If you remove roughness, does the error stop occurring? We have had a few people report recently that roughness may be causing errors that it shouldn’t be so I’d like to rule that out if possible.

I tried removing the roughness and metal from the landscape material, it did not solve the problem. Here’s a screenshot of what my landscape looks like when it has a hole and the materials themselves.

Hi Oblivion,

Try creating a copy of your landscape material from image one, then add the visibility mask there and use that. This way you do not have the visibility mask in your original material, however you still have the same textures for the mask. See if that works.

I tried your solution of duplicating the landscape material and adding a visibility mask on it and using that for the hole material of the landscape. It did not solve the problem. It was in fact blacker as it had no specular highlights on it at all…

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to reproduce this on my end. Below is my setup, do you see anything that you did differently?

I think it’s the layer blend that is causing the problem. That’s the only difference I see between your setup and mine.

try removing the layer blend and see if that fixes the error. If so, try using a weightblended layer node to denote your layers and see if the black paint appears again.

Alright, I tried removing the layer blend and replacing it with a weight blended layer node instead. I also had to duplicate my material and add a layer visibility node, you can’t have a material with just visibility node. Then I apply the base landscape material and the duplicated material with the visibility node to the hole material. Now it works. The question is now that we know that the layer blend node is causing the problems. How do the weight blended node differ to the layer blend node? Will I still be able to have multiple materials on my landscape?

I have had nothing but problems with landscape holes and I thought the complexity of the material was the problem, it’s not. Updated to 4.6 and it now works flawlessly using unreal’s instructions. Try updating to 4.6

As you can see it’s not a simple material:

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o791/repeteor/TerrainMaterial_zps5d8438f0.png~original

I don’t think 4.6 has anything to do with this. I have 4.6 and it still doing the problem. What I notice that you have in your material is that you don’t have a landscape layer blend node, I tried this in 4.6 and 4.5 and the layer blend node is causing the problem which the landscape documentation says to use, but don’t recommend that you use the layer blend node.

I think you have tested this enough to know it’s not working, that blows. You could try my set-up above (you can sculpt terrain with it btw and it get’s textured accordingly ) as I am getting great results with it.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o791/repeteor/TerrainMaterial_zps5d8438f0.png~original

Hi Oblivion2500,

You absolutely will be able to apply multiple landscape materials to your terrain. Have a look at this page for more information: Landscape Material Layer Blending in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Just ran into this same problem myself, I take it there’s still no actual fix for it? I’ve tried putting in the opacity mask, but it’s still showing black

27902-landscapelayerholeproblem.jpg

Hi Visnarel,

Have you tried some of the fixes and workarounds listed here? Can you show me a screenshot of your landscape material, I might be able to see what is going on. Thank you!

Here’s the non-instanced version of it… I’m rebuilding it atm to see if maybe it’s blowing past the texture count or something

Make sure that each of your textures has their sampler source changed to Shared: wrap or shared: clamp. The problem you are running into is that on out of the box settings you have too many textures for the landscape to handle (16 total, 3 of which are taken for rendering so 13 usable). By changing the sampler source you increase that amount to 128 individual textures.

Ah, good info! but it didn’t fix the terrain turning black when there’s a hole problem :frowning:

As I paint it on, it disappears, when I shift paint it the terrain reappears when the last hole does

After adding the hole texture, have you tried painting on the black splotch to see if it disappears?