Landscape resolution question

Hi, I’m trying to create a new landscape to fit to a certain size but with double the resolution. I’m using a height map to import when I create the landscape.

These are my settings:

landscape-creation.jpg

How do I increase the resolution but keep the size the same please?

Thanks

HI Franky,

I’m pretty sure you can decreased the X,Y scale and then increased the number of components.

The technical documentation covers resolution a bit under Component Sections if you haven’t had a change to read through it yet Landscape Technical Guide | Unreal Engine Documentation

Thanks Arlyn that worked. However, I have another question. I know I need to split my entire level up into 16 sub levels, with a Landscape tile in each one. So imagine a grid of 4x4 levels. I’m trying to setup Tiled Landscapes but it looks like my divided tiles need to be a certain resolution. Does anybody know a Landscape component configuration that would divide by 4? I keep getting resolutions of 993, which won’t divide equally by 4.

Thanks

Maybe we read it but we don’t understand a word, there is so little info on this. We just want to know how to create any size landscape with the resolution we want, without any other head aches. I could not understand a bit, sorry. Like he said above, it is very hard to calculate tile sizes in world machine then figure it out in ue, why so complicated?

Hmmm, I think the two examples cover it quite good.

In short: you can’t.

The number of vertices in each of your landscape section needs to be a power of 2 due to mip mapping (you have the same restriction in any texture you use in ue4 they too need to be a power of 2 in order for mip mapping to work). That’s the restriction.
[HR][/HR]

What you further need to consider, is that two adjacent sections share a row of vertices in your heightmap (those shared vertices get duplicated when you import the heightmap, but they are relevant for your heightmap size cause there you would have to subtract them). So if you would have 10x10 components with each 1x1 sections each with 64x64 vertices, so that would be (6310+1)x(6310+1) = 631x631 resolution.

As for the +1, imagine that each section shares a row of vertices in your heightmap with it’s right neighbor, only the section furthest to the right does not have a right neighbor, therefore there you need to count all 64 vertices in your heightmap resolution. So you could also write it down as

(639 + 64) x (639 + 64) = 631x631
[HR][/HR]

Again, the restriction you have is that the number of vertices in each landscape section needs to be a power of 2.
I think the confusing stuff is that the adjacent vertices get duplicated when you import the heightmap and therefore you have to subtract those in your resolution and this leads to confusion :slight_smile:

The terms “size” (in vertices) and “resolution” are used interchangeably. Heed the “recommended” sizes on this page:

You can enter those sizes in the WM project settings. If you want a specific size map, WM will give you a size (KM) based on your resolution and scale (pixels/m), and from that you can multiply the X, Y, and Z on import to UE4.

Follow these steps closely:

Note the RAW and r16 file types.

Best to learn by experiment with smaller scale maps.

For tiled landscapes, it is best (AFAIK) to use World Machine. Importing tiles from your own toolchain will produce artifacts.

Thank you all! Meanwhile i got the hang of it, just multiplying the resolution in world machine then scale it down dividing by that factor back in ue for a higher res. But your info is very usefull here!

Be weary as the docs on Tiled landscape probably have a wrong size on them.
The sizes that work best seem to be those that epic reccomends.

I never did understand the extra pixel thing, but it’s pretty easy to circumvent.

create a landscape of the recommended size you are interest in. export/save the heightmap. Take its pixel size. Use it to split your bigger map into squares of that size.

Using tiles of the exact recommended size everything seems to work ok.