Landscape Material turns completely Black after Updating project from 5.1

Hello all,
After updating our normal working environment to 5.3 , The Landscape Material turns completely black as seen in the image. The material is Auto-slope material and it has landscape layers. When we start creating the material from scratch one by one adding the layers, it becomes black after connecting 2nd layer and slope nodes.
This has never happened in earlier versions, it only happens in 5.3.
Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

4 Likes

I second this. It happens in my project as well. I have recreated project from ground up, so it is not something from the upgrading process.

EDIT: In my case it looks like LayerBlend node is not working, though I might be wrong here as I never had to fix such issues.

2 Likes

Having the same issue with every map I load using 5.3 - I also get a Landscape Material error.

1 Like

I think the whole landscape system is broken in new version. We have tried everything but there is no sollution. Even the heightmap and weightmap import settings are not working well.

I tried to fix the black material issue so I reimported the landscape from images (heightmap + 9 layers). For me the import worked OK - just had to enable the “resizing” (or whatever it was called) in import tab.

When I plug the material without Landscape Layer Blend node, it works and I can see the material.

How do you paint the landscape without landscape layer blend node ?

This happens for me too. The only way i got the landscape working was when i did everything in 5.2 and then just migrated it to 5.3

2 Likes

I also wait for fix.

1 Like

Hello all!

we have reported this broken Layer Blend Node bug to Epic Games. While waiting for this bug fix, one of our friend from Discord Channels found this solution:

We have tried this with 2 of our maps and it is working. You can check and let us know the situation.

PS: you can use RAW8 files too while exporting the Layer Infos, but you need to export the Height Map and import all of them in the end together to get the similar result.

3 Likes

Any news? 5.3.1 doesn’t have fix. Can you share report so we can vote and hype it?

We’re having the exact same issue as of 5.3.

We were hoping 5.3.1 would fix it, but it looks like it did not. We looked into the solution above, but that requires a full lighting rebuild as we’re using static lighting.

1 Like

Hi !

Same issue with my latest project migrated to 5.3 : all maps created prior 5.2 load ok but the one created with 5.2 has black landscape.

And no word or patch from EPIC about this … How come such an enormous bug is still not fixed ???

Cheers,

Greg

1 Like

Do you have an idea how we can reach the bug report we sent again. Because no one responded to our bug submission and there was an only automated message :

Our 5.3.1 project (recently updated from 5.1.1) is also impacted by this bug.

So i found your issue! It’s related to the naming of your layers (or for us it was the case). Our layers were named Layer_0, Layer_1, Layer_2, etc;. You have a post with the github commit if you don’t want to wait 5.3.2 and you compile with the source code here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-198494)

Otherwise you will need to rename your layers and reprojected your painted data (fun stuff). Hope it helps!

1 Like

Blockquote Hello all!

we have reported this broken Layer Blend Node bug to Epic Games. While waiting for >this bug fix, one of our friend from Discord Channels found this solution:

docs.google.com

5.3 Landscape Material Black

To begin I will do this in the Shrubland example provided to me by Freshcan3d. As you >can see it isn’t working. Before you do anything open up the Landscape Mode then go >to Paint tab then Manage then Export. Select the Layer you want to…>

We have tried this with 2 of our maps and it is working. You can check and let us know >the situation.

PS: you can use RAW8 files too while exporting the Layer Infos, but you need to export >the Height Map and import all of them in the end together to get the similar result.

This worked for me. It is a pain to do, but it is a solution for now.

1 Like

Hello,
Is there any fix or update about that?
I am using your landscape assets and I have got the issue either.
Thank you

Great news! This appears to have been fixed in the UE 5.3.2 patch that came out today!

Landscape layers are now working as they were in UE 5.1 regardless of their naming.

It appears it was fixed with
UE-198494 Landscape layers ending with _0, _1, etc. don’t work
According to the patch notes

1 Like

I still ran into this issue and the way I resolved it was by selecting the Landscape. Going to paint, selecting the layer, then adding the layingInfo ( or any layer info to the landscape) sure you have to repaint it but its all there again!